Subject: [netext] Way forward for I-D: draft-ietf-netext-logical-interface-support

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:11:10 -0600

Hello,

The logical interface support I-D (Logical Interface Support for multi-mode
IP Hosts <draft-ietf-netext-logical-interface-support>) has been discussed
by the Netext WG almost since the time the WG was formed. The key objective
of this document was to provide information of how to maintain session
continuity within a PMIP6 domain when the mobile device does a handover
across access technologies. The suggestion was to use a virtual/logical
interface and this I-D was capturing information about such interfaces.

The logical or virtual interface is a fairly well understood concept today
and is available in a host of different operating systems today (as the
document also mentions). The relevance and need for this I-D in my opinion
has diminished and it is no longer needed.
I do not see an essential requirement or clamoring from the developer
community for such an I-D. Additionally the functionality of a
virtual/logical interface is best left to individual operating systems.

The document itself has improved in quality over 9 revisions. I appreciate
the effort and work put in this I-D by the authors. But IMHO I do not see
value or anything to be gained by progressing this I-D as an Informational
RFC. The WG is better served by working on documents that solve a problem
which addresses deployment or enhances functionality. We need to make a
decision about work items which may have made sense when we initiatally
began but have evolved subsequently.

My recommendation w.r.t this I-D is to drop it from the WG. The authors
could consider asking the int-area if they see value in progressing this
work.

-Raj

-- 
Basavaraj Patil