Subject: [netext] RFC 7389 on Separation of Control and User Plane for Proxy Mobile IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 17:15:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7389

        Title:      Separation of Control and User 
                    Plane for Proxy Mobile IPv6 
        Author:     R. Wakikawa, R. Pazhyannur,
                    S. Gundavelli, C. Perkins
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 26217
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-netext-pmip-cp-up-separation-07.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7389.txt

This document specifies a method to split the control plane (CP) and
user plane (UP) for a network infrastructure based on Proxy Mobile
IPv6 (PMIPv6).  Existing specifications allow a mobile access gateway
(MAG) to separate its control and user plane using the Alternate
Care-of Address mobility option for IPv6 or Alternate IPv4 Care-of
Address option for IPv4.  However, the current specification does not
provide any mechanism allowing the local mobility anchor (LMA) to
perform an analogous functional split.  To remedy that shortcoming,
this document specifies a mobility option enabling an LMA to provide
an alternate LMA address to be used for the bidirectional user-plane
traffic between the MAG and LMA.  With this new option, an LMA will
be able to use an IP address for its user plane that is different
than the IP address used for the control plane.

This document is a product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC