Subject: [netext] Document Action: 'EAP Attributes for Wi-Fi - EPC Integration' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-netext-wifi-epc-eap-attributes-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 10:22:32 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'EAP Attributes for Wi-Fi - EPC Integration'
  (draft-ietf-netext-wifi-epc-eap-attributes-16.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Brian Haberman and Ted Lemon.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netext-wifi-epc-eap-attributes/

Technical Summary:

   With WiFi beginning to establishing itself as a trusted access
   network for service providers, it has become important to provide
   functions commonly available in 3G and 4G networks in WiFi access
   networks.  Such functions include Access Point Name (APN) Selection,
   multiple Packet Data Network (PDN) connections and seamless mobility
   between WiFi and 3G/4G networks.

   EAP/AKA (and EAP/AKA') is standardized by 3GPP as the access
   authentication protocol for trusted access networks.  This IETF
   specification is required for mobile devices to access the 3GPP
   Evolved Packet Core (EPC) networks.  This document defines a few new
   EAP attributes and procedures to provide the above-mentioned
   functions in trusted WiFi access networks.

Working Group Summary:

This document has been in a dormant state for a while. There is no
controversy regarding the document. Using EAP attributes to address a
problem that is faced in mobile networks when attaching via WiFi is
one solution. And there is enough consensus in the WG w.r.t the
solution.

Document Quality:

There are no known implementations of the attributes for EAP defined
by this document. At this time there is'nt any indication from vendors
or 3GPP to use the approach specified by this document.
The document has acknowledged the one person who has helped in
improving the specification. The document does not specify any media
type or MIB and hence no specialists have been consulted for reviews.

Personnel:

Document Shepherd: Basavaraj Patil
Responsible AD: Brian Haberman