Subject: [netext] RFC 7458 on Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Attributes forWi-Fi Integration with the Evolved Packet Core

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 15:26:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7458

        Title:      Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Attributes 
                    for Wi-Fi Integration with the Evolved 
                    Packet Core 
        Author:     R. Valmikam, R. Koodli
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 38925
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-netext-wifi-epc-eap-attributes-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7458

With Wi-Fi emerging as a crucial access network for mobile service
providers, it has become important to provide functions commonly
available in 3G and 4G networks in Wi-Fi access networks as well.
Such functions include Access Point Name (APN) Selection, multiple
Packet Data Network (PDN) connections, and seamless mobility between
Wi-Fi and 3G/4G networks.

The EAP Authentication and Key Agreement (EAP-AKA), and EAP-AKA',
protocol is required for mobile devices to access the mobile Evolved
Packet Core (EPC) via Wi-Fi networks.  This document defines a few
new EAP attributes to enable the above-mentioned functions in such
networks.  The attributes are exchanged between a client (such as a
Mobile Node (MN)) and its network counterpart (such as an
Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting (AAA) server) in the
service provider's infrastructure.

This document is a product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC