Subject: [netext] RFC 7847 on Logical-Interface Support for IP Hosts with Multi-Access Support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 17:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7847

        Title:      Logical-Interface Support for IP Hosts 
                    with Multi-Access Support 
        Author:     T. Melia, Ed.,
                    S. Gundavelli, Ed.
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       May 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      16
        Characters: 35657
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-netext-logical-interface-support-14.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7847

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7847

A logical interface is a software semantic internal to the host
operating system.  This semantic is available in all popular
operating systems and is used in various protocol implementations.
Logical-interface support is required on the mobile node attached to
a Proxy Mobile IPv6 domain for leveraging various network-based
mobility management features such as inter-technology handoffs,
multihoming, and flow mobility support.  This document explains the
operational details of the logical-interface construct and the
specifics on how link-layer implementations hide the physical
interfaces from the IP stack and from the network nodes on the
attached access networks.  Furthermore, this document identifies the
applicability of this approach to various link-layer technologies and
analyzes the issues around it when used in conjunction with various
mobility management features.

This document is a product of the Network-Based Mobility Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC