Subject: [netmod] js review of draft-bierman-netmod-system-mgmt-00

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:43:42 +0200

I have reviewed draft-bierman-netmod-system-mgmt-00 (as technical
contributor). I am fine with the scope of document and support its
adoption as WG document. The comments come in document order.

1) Is there some authoritative reference for the crypt-hash format,
   e.g., a POSIX standard? Is this regulated as part of say POSIX.1 or
   is all this a GNU invention? Are we sure we can use $0$ as a
   cleartext password format? Do we have to state that lowercase
   characters are the canonical representation?

2) The platform leafs are very Unix specific - is this OK? Can we have
   better references than "uname --kernel"? It looks uname is covered
   by POSIX.1-2001 but I am not sure.

3) Rename timezone-info leafs, e.g.

   OLD
   
   choice timezone-info
     leaf tz-database-id
     leaf tz-enumeration-is
     leaf utc-offset

   NEW

   choice timezone
     leaf timezone-location
     leaf timezone-name
     leaf timezone-utc-offset

4) Can we reasonably expect to control timeouts and retries for
   different implementations of DNS, NTP, or RADIUS? Or should we
   leave this to protocol specific modules?

5) For RADIUS, you include a port number leaf but not for DNS and
   NTP. Should we be consistent about this?

6) What exactly is stored in the ssh-dsa and ssh-rsa leafs? The
   content of my SSH key file is essentially a tag identifying the
   format (e.g. ssh-dss), the key in base64, and identifier. There
   is RFC 4716 but that does not seem to define the format that is
   most commonly used... Anyway, it needs to be clear what the format
   is and if it is self-describing, we might not need multiple leafs
   for different crypto systems.

7) Should we submodularize this YANG module this so that we can more
   easily revise parts of the model as we move along?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>