Subject: [netmod] WG Action: RECHARTER: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:48:49 -0800 (PST)

The NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod) working group in the 
Operations and Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For 
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the working 
group Chairs.

NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)
-----------------------------------------
Current Status: Active
Last Modified: 2012-02-02

Chairs: 
    David Kessens <[email-masked]>
    Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Directors:
    Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
    Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
    Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing List  
    Address: [email-masked] 
    To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
    Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/ 

Jabber Chat  
    Room Address: xmpp:[email-masked] 
    Logs: http://jabber.ietf.org/logs/netmod/ 

Description of Working Group:

The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be used for
configuration management. However, the NETCONF protocol does not include
a modeling language or accompanying rules that can be used to model the
management information that is to be configured using NETCONF. The
NETMOD working group has defined the data modeling language YANG but no
IETF models exist yet. The purpose of the NETMOD working group is to
support the ongoing deployment of YANG by developing a set of core YANG
data models and other activities that will allow network operators to
use YANG for configuration and management of network elements.

The NETMOD Working Group will work on the following items:

1. Core system data model
2. Core interface data model
3. Core routing data model that can be augmented with routing protocol
specifics. This requires appropriate active editorial participation from
routing experts and review at WGLC by the Routing Area working group.
4. SMIv2 translation to YANG for read-only operational data and
notifications. Guidance will be provided on how to reference existing
data structures in SMIv2 from YANG.
5. Data model for configuring SNMP engines. The model must be capable of
representing all SNMP engine configurations possible with the standard
SNMPv3 MIB modules that are common operational practice.
Any differences in functionality and behavior should be documented.

The NETMOD Working Group will not work on another version of YANG.
Further, the NETMOD Working Group will not serve as a review team for
YANG modules developed by other working groups.

All new charter items must be fully interoperable with implementations
of RFC 6241 and/or RFC 6020.

The WG will consult with the NETCONF working group to ensure that
NETMOD's decision do not conflict with planned work in NETCONF.

Goals and Milestones

Done     All _individual_ drafts available that will be used as input 
         into the WG documents (draft-bjorklund-yang, architecture 
         draft, YIN draft, YANG standard library draft, DSDL mapping 
         rules draft) 
Done     Initial set of WG drafts: architecture, YANG, YIN, YANG 
         standard library, DSDL mapping rules (if there is one/more 
         individual draft), based on WG decisions in Dublin 
Done     Initial DSDL mapping rules document 
Done     01 of YANG, DSDL, architecture, YIN, and standard library 
         draft.  If split out, -00 of on-the-wire XML draft.  
Done     Initial YANG Usage guidelines document available as a working
         group document 
Done     WGLC for YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out), YANG 
         standard library, DSDL mapping rules 
Done     Submit YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out), YANG standard
         library, DSDL mapping rules to the IESG for publication as a 
         Proposed Standard 
Done     Submission of individual draft(s) of Interface data model 
Done     Submission of individual draft(s) of Routing data model 
Done     Submission of individual draft(s) of SMIv2 translation to YANG 
Done     Submission of individual draft(s) of System data model draft 
Done     Submit first working group draft of System data model draft 
Done     Submit first working group draft of Interface data model 
Done     Submit first working group draft of Routing data model 
Done     Submit first working group draft of SMIv2 translation to YANG 
Mar 2012 Submit SMIv2 to YANG translation to the IESG (proposed
         standard)
Apr 2012 Submit Interface data model to the IESG (proposed standard) 
Apr 2012 Submit first working group draft of Data model for configuring
         SNMP engines 
Aug 2012 Submit System data model to the IESG (proposed standard) 
Aug 2012 Submit Routing data model to the IESG (proposed standard) 
Sep 2012 Submit Data model for configuring SNMP engines to the IESG
         (proposed standard)