Subject: [netmod] LL review of ip-cfg-02

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:11:18 +0100

Hi,

this is my review od the ip-cfg-02 draft module. Some of the issues have already been discussed.

*** Proposed changes
   1. (ad issue #ip-02.02) Change "ipv4" and "ipv6" nodes into
      presence containers but keep the "enabled" knob.

      In the current version, IPv6 is enabled on an interface even if
      the "ipv6" container is not present and there is no other
      mention about IPv6. If "ipv6" becomes a presence container,
      three states of the configuration are possible:
      - no IPv6 configuration is present => IPv6 is disabled
      - IPv6 configuration is present but IPv6 disabled via
        enabled=false.
      - IPv6 configuration is present and IPv6 enabled.

   2. Put the "address" list into a container, e.g. "addresses".

      Reason: avoid interleaving the addresses with other nodes, e.g.
        <address>...</address>
        <enabled>...</enabled>
        <address>...</address>

   3. Add boolean leaf "is-router" (or "ip-forwarding") under both
      "ipv4" and "ipv6".

      For IPv6, this configuration variable is required by RFC 4861,
      sec. 6.2.1 and IMO belongs to this module. The other
      router-specific configuration variables from that section are
      defined in the 'routing-cfg' module.

      The leaf "create-global-addresses" then should have a dynamic
      default equal to not(is-router).

   4. Add a config=false list of all addresses on an interface
      (manually or automatically configured).

   5. Add the variables required by RFC 4861, sec. 6.3.2 (config=false
      for all):
      - link-mtu
      - cur-hop-limit
      - base-reachable-time
      - reachable-time
      - retrans-timer

   6. Add the following global (i.e. not per-interface) config=false
      structures as required by RFC 4861, sec. 5.1.:
      - neighbour cache
      - routing table

      Do the same also for IPv4.

*** Formal

    - p. 4: s/familiy/family/

Lada 

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C