Subject: [netmod] augment target statements

From: Michal Vaško <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:11:34 +0100

Hi,
we have noticed that RFC 7950 page 120, when mentioning augment substatements targeting container, list, case, input, output, and notification, skips "anydata" and "anyxml". Based on the next section 7.17.1. and the grammar, it seems not intentional and we wanted to submit errata.

Also, in the same paragraph, the target notification is allowed and mentioned, but action not. Again, is that intentional or just an oversight? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Michal Vasko

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 10:22:41 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Michal Vaško <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
> we have noticed that RFC 7950 page 120, when mentioning augment
> substatements targeting container, list, case, input, output, and
> notification, skips "anydata" and "anyxml".

This is correct; the *target* of an "augment" cannot be "anydata" or
"anyxml".

> Based on the next section
> 7.17.1. and the grammar, it seems not intentional and we wanted to
> submit errata.

7.17.1 lists substatemets to the "augement" statement, i.e., valid
nodes to *add to* the target node.

> Also, in the same paragraph, the target notification is allowed and
> mentioned, but action not. Again, is that intentional or just an
> oversight? Thanks.

Intentional.  The target of an augment cannot be an "action" (or
"rpc").  Note that the target can be "input" or "output".  (And note
that the "input" and "output" nodes always exist as children to
rpc/action)

/martin

---

From: Michal Vaško <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 12:04:39 +0100

> This is correct; the *target* of an "augment" cannot be "anydata" or

Okay, I was ambiguous and actually wanted to ask, whether "anydata" or "anyxml" can be a substatement of an augment targeting container, list, case, input, output, or notification. If not, then I wonder why.

> that the "input" and "output" nodes always exist as children to
 
Right, of course.

Regards,
Michal Vasko

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:25:57 +0100 (CET)

Michal Vaško <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Okay, I was ambiguous and actually wanted to ask, whether "anydata" or
> "anyxml" can be a substatement of an augment targeting container,
> list, case, input, output, or notification. If not, then I wonder why.

Aha.  So you really wanted to ask about:

OLD:

   If the target node is a container, list, case, input, output, or
   notification node, the "container", "leaf", "list", "leaf-list",
   "uses", and "choice" statements can be used within the "augment"
   statement.

NEW:

   If the target node is a container, list, case, input, output, or
   notification node, the "anydata", "anyxml", "container", "leaf",
   "list", "leaf-list", "uses", and "choice" statements can be used
   within the "augment" statement.

Yes, this is a bug in the spec.

/martin