Subject: [netmod] RFC 7950 - Import without revision

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:15:28 +0000

in RFC 7950, The last paragraph, section 5.1.1 "Import and Include by 
Revision" states:

"If a module is not imported with a specific revision, it is 
undefined which revision is used."

But I was wondering if the above text is misleading, since section 
5.6.5: "Implementing a Module" has the following two paragraphs:

    If a server implements a module A that imports a module C without
    specifying the revision date of module C and the server does not
    implement C (e.g., if C only defines some typedefs), the server MUST
    list module C in the "/modules-state/module" list from
    "ietf-yang-library" [RFC7895 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7895>], and it MUST set the leaf
    "conformance-type" to "import" for this module.

    If a server lists a module C in the "/modules-state/module" list from
    "ietf-yang-library" and there are other modules Ms listed that import
    C without specifying the revision date of module C, the server MUST
    use the definitions from the most recent revision of C listed for
    modules Ms.

    The reason for these rules is that clients need to be able to know
    the specific data model structure and types of all leafs and
    leaf-lists implemented in a server.

This seems to imply that import without specifying the revision would 
mean that the latest revision listed in ietf-yang-library must be the 
one that is imported.  Is that correct, or am I misinterpreting the 
text?  Hence, should the last paragraph of section 5.1.1 be deleted?

Thanks,
Rob