Subject: [netmod] regarding yang-next

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 19:43:25 +0000

The YANG Next discussion from the Chicago meeting was interesting.  
What I took away from it is that it would be good to find a way 
to update YANG more rapidly, somewhat like code with patches and
branches.

In the end, I viewed this more of an RFC-publishing thing than a
NETMOD thing.  For instance, imagine we have:

  7950 - YANG 1.1
  8xxx - The 'map' statement       (updates 7950)
  8yyy - The 'template' statement  (updates 7950)
  8zzz - The 'inactive' attribute  (updates 7950)
  9999 - YANG 1.2 = Y1.1 + 8xxx + 8yyy + 8zzz

I doubt that the RFC Editor would ever do something as callous as 
that but, still, the takeaway for us, for now at least, is to work
on simple drafts that update 7950 rather than work on a 7950bis.

So that settles the YANG Next discussion for a while.  Please still
use the Yang Next issue tracker when you have ideas for YANG can be
improved:  https://github.com/netmod-wg/yang-next/issues.

Thanks,
Kent // co-chair