Subject: [netmod] Question about ietf-routing

From: Alex Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 23:43:19 +0000

Hi,

I noticed that the ietf-routing YANG (published in RFC 8022) allows for multiple instances of each control plane protocol, as well as multiple RIBs per address family.
However I don't see any way to associate one with the other. Without additional configuration, protocols will only place their routes in default RIBs.
Is it intended that this will be left to vendor-specific modules and/or future standards?

Alex

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 08:25:32 +0200

Hi Alex,

in earlier revisions of the ietf-routing module (up to draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-17), we had a configuration item ("recipient-ribs") that allowed for assigning RIBs to routing protocol instances. The reason for removing it is summarized in my presentation from IETF 92, slides 10 and 11:

https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/92/slides/slides-92-netmod-9.pdf

(and yes, I wasn't a big fan of this change).

Maybe Acee can give additional background.

Lada 

> On 7 Jun 2017, at 01:43, Alex Campbell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 14:27:12 +0000

+YANG Routing Design Team

On 6/7/17, 2:25 AM, "Ladislav Lhotka" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>in earlier revisions of the ietf-routing module (up to
>draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-17), we had a configuration item
>("recipient-ribs") that allowed for assigning RIBs to routing protocol
>instances. The reason for removing it is summarized in my presentation
>from IETF 92, slides 10 and 11:
>

The RIBs which the control plane protocols populated are normally dictated
by the address family. In the case of multiple topologies, a specific RIB
(as identified by name) will need to be explicitly associated with the
topology in the control plane protocol as opposed to being connected to
the control plane protocol at a higher level.

Thanks,
Acee 

>> I noticed that the ietf-routing YANG (published in RFC 8022) allows for
>>multiple instances of each control plane protocol, as well as multiple
>>RIBs per address family.
>> However I don't see any way to associate one with the other. Without
>>additional configuration, protocols will only place their routes in
>>default RIBs.