Subject: [netmod] Notification in Yang Modules

From: Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:09:53 +0530

​
​Hi WG,

As suggested by Lou, ​I am posting the question to the WG list with a
suggestion that perhaps ​such a guideline could be addressed in 6087bis.

My question to yang doctors regarding the Notification was -

What is the guideline for including Notification in the Yang model, now
that [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-push] and
[I-D.ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications] is the preferred approach?

Should we keep only "mandatory to implement notifications" in the Yang
model? Or just remove the notifications completely?

A guideline to model writers would be helpful here, IMHO.

Regards,
Dhruv

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:51:34 +0200

Dhruv,

the question is very broad and hence difficult to answer. Some things
to consider:

For certain events that a system will detect and handle anyway and
that are generally relevant for management applications (an interface
going up or down for example), having a specific notification defined
will likely remain useful.

You also have to consider whether all systems implementing your data
model can be expected to implement the push and subscription models.
Despite implementation costs, these models come with a certain runtime
overhead as well.

/js

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 00:55:38 -0700

Hi,

The YANG notification-stmt is for defining your own event messages.
This can be used with 5277 or 5277bis notification delivery mechanisms.

The choice of mandatory or optional (via if-feature) is model-specific.
If the module functionality related to the notification is optional, the
notification-stmt should be the same (have the same if-feature-stmts)

If your notification is for pushing operational data that is also
retrievable via <get>,
then yang-push can be used instead.

Andy

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Dhruv Dhody <[email-masked]> wrote:

> that [I-D.ietf-netconf-yang-push] and [I-D.ietf-netconf-subscribed-notifications]
> is the preferred approach?
>