Subject: [netmod] Question/Clarification of ietf-netmod-entity model

From: Marta Seda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:28:40 +0000

RFC6933 Entity MIB contains the following tables:

     *   entPhysicalContainsTable (this is modeled in ietf-hardware-yang module)
     *   entLPPhysicalTable (describes the mapping of logical entities and physical components supporting that entity).

There are some solution spaces that need to support logical entities (e.g., bridges, and other virtual entities).  The draft-ietf-netmod-entity-04 only addresses the entPhysicalContains Table.  Could someone comment as to the reason for the omission of logical entities?  Is this by design  (ietf-netmod-entity is intended only to cover physical components and physical ports)? Or simply that it has not been gotten around to?

Thank you.

Regards,

Marta Seda
Calix

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 07:42:24 +0200

A logical entity in the ENTITY-MIB boils down to the SNMP parameters
needed to talk to an SNMP agent that provides a context view on say a
bridge. This all was needed because the original bridge MIB module
design was not prepared to expose virtual lans, multiple spanning
trees etc. I assume that YANG data model written for bridges in the
21st century would be able to expose that without requiring contexts
(that do not even exist as a concept in YANG/NETCONF/RESTCONF).
Perhaps the closest are schema mounts.

/js

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>