Subject: [nmrg] just for your info
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:01:33 +0100

I recently wrote a new SNMP command line toolset, which is now
publically available under the GPL:

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/stools/

The core idea was to design tools that are very efficient to use (at
least for Unix people ;-) and which are organized in a way network
operators look at devices. The implementation has been designed so
that one can extend the tools (in C) without being familiar with
low-level SNMP operations and APIs. All the low-level SNMP stuff is
hidden in stub functions that are generated by a MIB compiler. If I
manage to encourage enough people to contribute extensions (so called
modes) for additional MIBs, then I believe that these tools may have
some impact on how people use SNMP in the future.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 15:56:34 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] conceptual vs computational models
Sender: [email-masked]

In our last meeting, we shortly had the terms conceptual model and
computational models on the board. We later wiped them out, even
though I am not sure everybody had agreement what these terms mean.

I just found a nice paper which provides definitions of these terms
and which argues about the differences (even though I do not fully
agree with the position held by the authors). Those interested might
want to read it:

@Article{JM00,
  author =       "N. Juristo and A. M. Moreno",
  title =        "{Introductory paper: Reflections on Conceptual
                 Modeling}",
  journal =      "Data and Knowledge Engineering",
  volume =       "33",
  number =       "2",
  pages =        "103--117",
  month =        may,
  year =         "2000",
}

<http://www.elsevier.nl/inca/publications/store/5/0/5/6/0/8/index.htt>

If we produce a paper about the results of the last meeting (which I
hope is still on our TODO list), I would like to have in it an
explanation how "our" terminology relates to the terminology coming
from the Data/Software/Knowledge Engineering fields.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>