Subject: [nmrg] smi to xml mappings
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:57:47 +0100
List-Id: Network Management Research Group <nmrg.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

As you will know, we did some work on SMI to XML mappings back in 2000
to allow the exchange of SMI information between applications that
have XML parsers (but no SMI parsers). The proposed conversion has
been implemented as part of smidump and since then been available.  I
know of at least one additional implementation of this translation and
I know that a third one is in the works. There have been some
exchanges lately on some problems with the translation.

In addition, Frank Strauss and Thorsten Klie have spend quite some
time on doing SMI to XML schema mappings lately and there is a paper
forthcoming at IM 2003.

I thought it might be useful to create a place where folks interested
in this can discuss this. I would like to keep the NMRG involved in
that but I also thought that it would be useful to have a dedicated
list for this purpose. So I created the following list:

    https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/smixml

Feel free to subscribe if you are interested in this subject.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>

Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:37:29 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Network Management Research Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] RFC 3430 just appeared
Sender: [email-masked]

RFC 3430:

             Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) over
         Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) Transport Mapping

It took us a few years to get this really simple thing done. But
better late than never I would say...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>