Subject: Re: [nmrg] Draft minutes of the 16th NMRG meeting
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:59:54 +0200
List-Id: Network Management Research Group <nmrg.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:44:48AM +0200, Aiko Pras wrote:
 
> Attached you'll find the draft minutes of the 16th NMRG meeting. Please 
> send any comments within the next days.

[...]

I did not see any comments so I have put the minutes on the NMRG
web page. Thanks Aiko for working on these minutes.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 17:06:46 +0200
From: Aiko Pras <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
CC: IM05 - TPC chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] CFP: 9th IFIP/IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON INTEGRATED NETWORK MANAGEMENT (IM'05)
Sender: [email-masked]

                            CALL FOR PAPERS

**********************************************************************
                9th IFIP/IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON
                     INTEGRATED NETWORK MANAGEMENT
                                 (IM'05)
                             15-19 May, 2005
                              Nice, France

                         http://www.ieee-im.org/

**********************************************************************

                            IMPORTANT DATES

                    Submission    : August   23, 2004
                    Notification  : November 26, 2004
                    Camera  Ready : January  15, 2005

**********************************************************************

                     "Managing New Networked Worlds"

The Ninth  IFIP/IEEE  International  Symposium  on Integrated  Network
Management (IM 2005) will be held  16-19 May 2005  in Nice, France. IM
2005  will  present  the latest  technical   advances in  the  area of
management,  operations and control  of networks, networking services,
networked applications, and distributed systems.  Held in odd-numbered
years since 1989 and taking turns with its sibling conference NOMS, IM
2005 will build on the successes of its  predecessors and serve as the
primary forum for  technical  exchange among the  research, standards,
vendor  and  user communities  in  the network  management field.  The
symposium is sponsored by the International Federation for Information
Processing  (IFIP)  Working Group 6.6  on Management  of  Networks and
Distributed Systems, and  by the IEEE Communications Society Technical
Committee on Network Operations and Management (CNOM).

We are witnessing  the dawn of a  new era in networking. New networked
worlds emerge in  which  connectivity becomes increasingly  ubiquitous
and the infrastructure  blends in seamlessly with business  functions,
applications, and the supported environment.   These new worlds are no
longer only characterized  by the increasing heterogeneity and  number
of   devices,  but also by properties   such  as  convergence, context
awareness,   accelerated    service  lifecycles,    virtualization  of
resources,  massive   P2P    infrastructures, unprecedented   security
challenges, and    much more.   Further, new  types   of networks  are
emerging   such  as sensor    networks,  agent networks,  storage-area
networks, and grid-based networks.   All of this incurs new challenges
and opportunities for network  management and the ways  in which it is
approached, requiring management technology  to  evolve as rapidly  as
the new networked worlds.

IM 2005  will  be   organized  into technical   sessions, panels,  and
tutorials.  In addition, it will feature application sessions focusing
on practical lessons   learned  by the  user   and vendor communities,
posters,  birds-of-a-feather  sessions, and vendor  exhibits.   In the
tradition of previous events, we strive  to make the IM 2005 Symposium
the highest quality professional event of the year.  Paper submissions
will  undergo a stringent review process  implemented by the Technical
Program Committee which includes many of the most respected experts in
the field.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
TECHNICAL PROGRAM
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors are invited to  submit complete unpublished papers, which  are
not  under  review in any   other conference or   journal,  as well as
proposals for tutorials, panel  discussions, poster demonstrations, or
birds-of-a-feather sessions.  Topics  of interest include but are  not
limited to the following:

(-) Management  paradigms,   models,  and  algorithms

     * Integrating control and management, cooperative control
     * Self management and management automation
     * Policy and role based management
     * Advanced management instrumentation
     * Adaptive and programmable management
     * Information modeling
     * Management ontologies

(-) Management functions and operational challenges

     * Security management, defense against security threats
     * Network and service monitoring, event correlation, filtering
     * Network and service diagnostics, proactive management
     * Business and operational processes
     * Traffic engineering and measurement
     * Service creation, deployment, and provisioning
     * Accounting, charging and billing
     * Service portability and mobility
     * SLAs, service level monitoring, QoS management
     * Managed services management
     * Scalability, resilience and survivability

(-) Management standards, platforms and technologies

     * Next-generation Operations Support Systems
     * Internet management standards and technologies
     * Open source software and their application to management
     * Management and the Web
     * Component based management and management plug&play
     * Case studies & integration experiences with management platforms 
and COTS

(-) Management of new networked worlds

     * Wireless sensor networks and RFID-enabled networks
     * Overlay networks, virtual topologies, VPN services
     * Virtualized resources
     * Context and subscriber aware networks, mobile computing
     * Ad hoc and self organizing networks
     * Smart homes, Piconets, PANs
     * Storage Area Networks and ASP server farms
     * Web services, content hosting, switching, delivery
     * Resource-aware applications, power constrained resources
     * Converged networks and services
     * IPv4/v6 networks and services, VoIP, video distribution
     * Powerline Internet, optical networks, metro Ethernet, WLANs
     * Grid, peer-to-peer networks and services

---------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Papers

Authors are  invited to submit complete  unpublished papers, which are
not under  review  in any other  conference  or  journal.  Authors are
requested to submit long papers  (up to 14 single-spaced single-column
pages) in PDF or  Postscript format.  Detailed Author Instructions are
available from the Conference web site.

  Submission    : August   23, 2004
  Notification  : November 26, 2004
  Camera Ready  : January  15, 2005

Application Sessions

Papers for the Application Sessions should be written in English.  The
paper format should have a visual in the upper half of  a page and the
explanatory text in the lower  half.  Paper submissions should consist
of  no more  than 15  visuals in  PDF or PowerPoint.   Detailed Author
Instructions are  available from the  Conference web site. Authors are
also invited to contact the  Application Sessions Chair, Joseph Betser
([email-masked]).

  Submission    : August   23, 2004
  Notification  : November 26, 2004
  Camera Ready  : January  15, 2005

Posters

The  symposium  also   offers  poster   sessions for   more   informal
interactions and  presenting work in  progress. Extended abstracts can
be submitted for  consideration as poster  presentations. Posters will
be selected from these extended abstracts and regular papers.  Posters
proposals  should  be submitted  to  the  Technical Program  Co-Chairs
([email-masked]):

  Submission    : September 30, 2004
  Notification  : November  26, 2004
  Camera Ready  : January   15, 2005

Tutorials

  The  symposium includes  tutorials on the  days  before and after the
  technical program. A proposal   to present a tutorial should  contain
  the following information:

    Tutorial Title, Full Name of the Instructor
    Biography of the Instructor (100-200 words)
    Outline and Extended Abstract (500-1000 words)

If the  tutorial or its earlier version  has been given before, please
indicate the events, dates and contents.  Tutorial proposals should be
sent to the Tutorial Chair, Masum Hasan ([email-masked]).

  Submission    : September 30, 2004

Panels

We will also consider  proposals for Panels.  Proposals
should include the following information :

    Panel Title, Names of   the   Organizer and Panelists,  Abstract
    (200-300 words)

Proposals should  be    submitted to the   Panels  Chair,  Gautam  Kar
([email-masked]).

    Submission    : September 30, 2004

---------------------------------------------------------------------
GENERAL CHAIR
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Seraphin Calo
IBM Research, USA

---------------------------------------------------------------------
TECHNICAL PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS ([email-masked])
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexander Clemm          Olivier Festor           Aiko Pras
Cisco Systems            INRIA                    CTIT, U. of Twente
USA                      France                   The Netherlands

---------------------------------------------------------------------
TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE & OC MEMBERS
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sebastian Abeck, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
Nazim Agoulmine, University of Evry Val d'Essonne, France
Kevin Almeroth, UCSB, USA
Ehab Al-Shaer, DePaul University, Chicago, USA
Nikos Anerousis, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
Finn Arve Aagesen, NTNU, Norway
Joseph Betser, The Aerospace Corporation, USA
Prakash Bettadapur, Cisco Systems, USA
Raouf Boutaba, University of Waterloo, Canada
Torsten Braun, University of Bern, Switzerland
Nevil Brownlee, The University of Auckland, CAIDA, New Zealand
Marcus Brunner, NEC Europe Ltd., Germany
Mark Burgess, Oslo University College, Norway
Seraphin Calo, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
Tom Chen, SMU, USA
Omar Cherkaoui, University of Quebec in Montreal, Canada
Alexander Clemm, Cisco Systems, USA
Alva Couch, Tufts University, USA
Marc Dacier, Eurecom, France
Markus Debusman, FH Wiesbaden
Luca Deri, NETikos S.p.A., Italy
Petre Dini, Cisco, USA
William Donnelly, Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland
Gabi Dreo Rodosek, Leibniz Supercomputing Center, Germany
Masayoshi Ejiri, Fujitsu, Japan
Metin Feridun, IBM Research, Switzerland
Olivier Festor, LORIA-INRIA, France
Nobuo Fujii, NTT laboratories, Japan
Kurt Geihs, Technical University Berlin, Germany
German Goldszmidt , IBM USA
Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville, Federal University of Rio Grande do 
Sul, Brazil
Heinz-Gerd Hegering, Leibniz Supercomputing Center, Germany
Takeo Hamada, Fujitsu Labs of America, USA
Masum Z. Hasan, Cisco Systems, USA
Peer Hasselmeyer, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe, Germany
Joseph Hellerstein, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center, USA
James Won-Ki Hong, POSTECH, Korea
Cynthia Hood, Illinois Institute of Technology, USA
Gabriel Jakobson, Altusys, USA
Gautam Kar, IBM  T. J. Watson Research Center, USA
Martin Karsten, University of Waterloo, Canada
Alexander Keller, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
Yoshiaki Kiriha, NEC, Japan
Lundy Lewis, Southern New Hampshire University, USA
Antonio Liotta, University of Surrey, UK
Emil Lupu, Imperial College, UK
Hanan Lutfiyya, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Alan Marshal, The Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ian W. Marshall, University of Kent, UK
Jean-Philippe Martin-Flatin, CERN, Switzerland
Subrata Mazumdar, Avaya Labs Research, USA
Jose Marcos Nogueira, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil
Philippe Owesarski, LAAS-CNRS, France
George Pavlou, University of Surrey, UK
Aiko Pras, University of Twente, The Netherlands
Guy Pujolle, LIP6 University of Paris 6, France
Jurgen Quittek, NEC Europe Ltd., Germany
Christian Rad, USA
Danny Raz, Technion, Israel
Enrico Ronco, Telecom Italia, Italy
Lionel Sacks, University College London, UK
Akhil Sahai, HP Laboratories, USA
Jürgen Schönwälder  , International University Bremen, Germany
Joan Serrat, University Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain
Adarsh Sethi, University of Delaware, USA
Michelle Sibilla, University Paul Sabatier, France
Morris Sloman, Imperial College London, UK
Rolf Stadler, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
Radu State, LORIA-INRIA, France
John Strassner, Intelliden, USA
Frank Strauss, TU Braunschweig, Germany
Burkhard Stiller, UniBw Munich, Germany and ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Joe Sventek, University of Glasgow, UK
Mehmet Ulema, Manhattan College, USA
Marten van Sinderen, University of Twente, The Netherlands
John Vicente, Intel, USA
Vincent P. Wade, Trinity College Dublin,Ireland
Robert Weihmayer, Verizon, USA
Andrea Westerinen, Cisco Systems, USA
Bert Wijnen, Lucent, USA
Carlos Becker Westphall, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil
Felix Wu, University of California at Davis, USA
Makoto Yoshida, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Douglas Zuckerman, Telcordia Technologies, USA

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:35:42 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] RFC 3780 and RFC 3781 just announced
Sender: [email-masked]

The SMIng specs have finally been published. Thanks to everyone who
contributed to this project and especially Frank Strauss for his
continued work on SMIng since his Diploma thesis back in 1998/1999.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:08:20 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] vienna meeting notes
Sender: [email-masked]

If you look at the NMRG web page, you will see that we do not have
minutes for the NMRG meeting in Vienna in July last year. For whatever
reason, the person who volunteered to compile the minutes does not
respond to my emails.

So I am asking the participants to check whether they still have any 
notes from that meeting which the want to share with me. I would then
take over the responsibility to compile some minutes (better late
than never).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:44:48 +0200
From: Aiko Pras <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
CC: Aiko Pras <[email-masked]>, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] Draft minutes of the 16th NMRG meeting
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi

Attached you'll find the draft minutes of the 16th NMRG meeting. Please 
send any comments within the next days.

Bye

Aiko & Juergen

--------------------------------------
Draft minutes of the 16th NMRG meeting
COEX Convention Center, Seoul, Korea
18 April 2004, 13:30-17:00
	
Participants:

- J?rgen Sch?nw?lder, IUB, Germany <[email-masked]>
- Aiko Pras, Univ. of Twente, The Netherlands <[email-masked]>
- George Pavlou, Univ. of Surrey, UK <[email-masked]>
- Radu State, Inria, France <[email-masked]>
- Olivier Festor, Inria, France [email-masked]
- Omar Cherkaoui, UQAM, Canada <[email-masked]>
- James Hong, Postech, Korea <[email-masked]>
- Mi-Jung Choi, Postech, Korea <[email-masked]>
- Sun Mi-Yoo, , Postech, Korea <[email-masked]>
- So-Jung Lee, Postech, Korea <[email-masked]>
- Dong-Hyun Kim, Postech, Korea <[email-masked].>

Agenda:

1. Welcome
2. NetConf Agent Toolkit YENCA (Olivier Festor, Radu State)
3. Performance Evaluation on XML-based Network Management (Mi-Jung Choi)
4. Closing

NetConf Agent Toolkit: YENCA
----------------------------

Radu presented Yenca, which is a NetConf prototype developed at INRIA
by Benjamin Zores, Radu and Olivier (Benjamin is a student who
implemented major parts and can be contacted for technical questions).
Yenca is based on the October 2003 Internet-Draft (note: the latest
draft is from February), and does not include all NetConf functions.

Since not all participants at this meeting were familiar with NetConf,
a short overview was provided. It was made clear that NetConf
originated from JunoScript, and does not include a data model to ease
its standardization. If the NetConf IETF working group turns out to be
successful, then work on standardized data models may be started in
the IETF. It was also explained that NetConf regards data as XML
documents, which may be seen as a paradigm shift compared to the
variable oriented approach of SNMP.
	
Motivations behind the development of Yenca:

a) To implement and get experience with new functions that are
    specific for NetConf and can not be found in SNMP.

b) To create a software infrastructure that can be used in future
    research activities, such as interoperability tests, the
    implementation of gateways etc.

Another aspect considered during the development of Yenca was to
experiment with a modular instrumentation framework and locking
mechanisms. For example, there is work in progress on a Linux kernel
module which can block any user level attempts to change interface
configurations.

The Yenca implementation uses the libxml XML library. The interface
between domain specific modules and the Yenca agent passes XML
fragments around. It was noted that the current implementation parses
XML fragments multiple times. Since modules are dynamically loaded and
run in the same address space, it should be possible to just pass the
pointer to the already parsed DOM tree around.

The current distribution has some small problems. The file format uses
DOS line ends instead of Unix line ends, which confuses the autoconf
tool-set. The Yenca framing code does not yet work and needs to be
rewritten. Documentation is not yet complete.

Conclusion: Although Yenca should be seen as an early prototype with
inherent shortcomings (see slides for an overview), it is the first
open source NetConf implementation. Others are invited to use the
software and give comments.

Performance evaluation of XML-based Network Management
------------------------------------------------------

Mi-Jung Choi from Postech, Korea, presented some measurement work on
an SNMP to XML gateway which is related to her Ph.D. thesis. For the
details of the presentations, consult the meeting web page.

The SNMP to XML gateway works as follows: An XML manager sends a
request to a gateway which translates this request into several
requests to potentially many agents. This is different from the
gateway implemented by Frank Strauss et. al. which assumes that an
XML request and the corresponding response translates into several
requests to a single agent.

Many questions were asked during the presentation in order to
understand the precise meaning of the numbers and the experimental
setup. For every SNMP object, a separate SNMP message was send; the
objects were not retrieved via a single combined SNMP GET or GetNext
request. When talking to multiple agents, the implementation uses a
sequence of serialized requests (send request, wait for response, send
next request etc.) which explains some of the delay figures. The
implementation uses JoeSNMP (a rather small Java SNMPv1/SNMPv2c
package under GPL).