Subject: [nmrg] Data sheet for HP's Telephony management system
From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:17:21 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: Network Management Research Group <nmrg.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

HI,

The following datasheet covers a lot of what management means...

http://www.openview.hp.com/products/ovpi/ds/ovpi_rp_ip-telephony_ds.doc

Regards,
/david t. perkins

Resent-From: [email-masked]
Resent-Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:36:29 +0200
Resent-Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Resent-To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:03:14 +0200
From: Luca Deri <[email-masked]>
Organization: ntop.org
To: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>, Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
Cc: 
Subject: [nmrg] VoIP Meeting

Hi all,
I;m writing you directly because in the past the mailing list has banned
my messages (can you please check?).

I wish I could attend your meeting, however as you already know I have
funding problems. However I would like to contribute a bit to the
discussion. As you know I have developed in the past a NetFlow v5/v9 GPL
probe named nProbe (http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html). Now I'm about to
release (final tests) the new v4 that, using NF v9, allows VoIP
(SIP+RTP) to be analyzed. In particular I have defined the following
custom tags (that are also handled by ntop):

Plugin SIP templates:
[130] %SIP_CALL_ID              SIP call-id
[131] %SIP_CALLING_PARTY        Call initiator
[132] %SIP_CALLED_PARTY         Called party
[133] %SIP_RTP_CODECS           RTP codecs
[134] %SIP_INVITE_TIME          SysUptime (msec) of INVITE
[135] %SIP_TRYING_TIME          SysUptime (msec) of Trying
[136] %SIP_RINGING_TIME         SysUptime (msec) of RINGING
[137] %SIP_OK_TIME              SysUptime (msec) of OK
[138] %SIP_ACK_TIME             SysUptime (msec) of ACK
[139] %SIP_RTP_SRC_PORT         RTP stream source port
[140] %SIP_RTP_DST_PORT         RTP stream destination port

Plugin RTP templates:
[150] %RTP_FIRST_SSRC           First flow RTP Sync Source ID
[151] %RTP_FIRST_TS             First flow RTP timestamp
[152] %RTP_LAST_SSRC            Last flow RTP Sync Source ID
[153] %RTP_LAST_TS              Last flow RTP timestamp
[154] %RTP_JITTER               RTP Jitter
[155] %RTP_PKT_LOST             Packet lost in stream
[156] %RTP_PAYLOAD_TYPE         RTP payload type
[157] %RTP_MAX_DELTA            RTP max delta (ms * 100) between
consecutive pkts

The architecture is based on plugins, so it's possible to easily add new
plugins that implement either new tags or that do other tasks as flow
dump etc.

If you believe this info is interesting for you meeting, fell free to
share it.

Chees, Luca

-- 
Luca Deri <[email-masked]>	http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being
clever about it - Richard Stallman

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:22:44 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] nancy meeting page updated
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I have updated the Nancy meeting web page:

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2005/nancy/

I have added a bunch of abstracts (for those presentations where I
was able to find an abstract in my email archives) and I started to
assemble a reading list, basically pointers to IDs and RFCs. I
also started a section where I collect the slides.

If you have additional material (abstracts not yet listed, stuff
that should go into the reading list, slides) please send it to
me so that I can make it available for everyone. I will be online
until Thursday evening (European time).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:43:59 +0200
From: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Cc: [email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------030305030605090509020000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I confirm that the easiest & fastest way from Paris to Nancy is to take 
the train. Anyway if you plan to join us by car, it will take you about 
3.5 hours.

www.viamichelin.fr (or viamichelin.co.uk) will give you all details 
regarding directions and duration for a trip by car. I recommend to 
choose the option 'prefer motorway' when you select your trip  if you 
are not familiar with the french driving environment. Also note that 
Charles de Gaule airport is in Roissy and not in Paris. It may help ;-)

/Olivier

Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:36:33AM -0700, Azita Kia (akia) wrote:
> 
>  
>
>>Can someone please point me to the drivng directions, or an online tool
>>that can create them, from Paris to Loria ?
>>    
>>
>
>I believe the easiest choice is really to take the train. Unless you
>really want to have this special experience of driving a car in France
>and through Paris in particular. 
>
>Olivier Festor might have more details for you in case you really want 
>to go by car.
>
>/js
>
>  
>

--------------030305030605090509020000
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  <title></title>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
I confirm that the easiest &amp; fastest way from Paris to Nancy is to
take the train. Anyway if you plan to join us by car, it will take you
about 3.5 hours.<br>
<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.viamichelin.fr">www.viamichelin.fr</a> (or viamichelin.co.uk) will give you all details
regarding directions and duration for a trip by car. I recommend to
choose the option 'prefer motorway' when you select your trip&nbsp; if you
are not familiar with the french driving environment. Also note that
Charles de Gaule airport is in Roissy and not in Paris. It may help ;-)<br>
<br>
/Olivier<br>
<br>
Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
<blockquote cite="[email-masked]" type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:36:33AM -0700, Azita Kia (akia) wrote:
 
  </pre>
  <blockquote type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">Can someone please point me to the drivng directions, or an online tool
that can create them, from Paris to Loria ?
    </pre>
  </blockquote>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
I believe the easiest choice is really to take the train. Unless you
really want to have this special experience of driving a car in France
and through Paris in particular. 

Olivier Festor might have more details for you in case you really want 
to go by car.

/js

  </pre>
</blockquote>
</body>
</html>

--------------030305030605090509020000--

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:05:16 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: David B Harrington <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Mail-Followup-To: David B Harrington <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:37:08AM -0400, David B Harrington wrote:

> What would it take to capture the audio and make this available via
> the NMRG web page? Potential participants in NMRG often seem to lack
> travel funds (including myself). Being able to follow what was
> presented and discussed would be nice. 
> 
> Does anybody have the equipment and software to capture the audio and
> convert it to an MP3 file (or other file format) for the NMRG web
> site?

I am exploring the possibilities at the moment. The key is a hassle
free recording device. Back in January 2004, Frank used his iSight
camera mounted on his Mac and this produced next to the pictures
acceptable audio without requiring participants to pick up a mike
when they had something to say. Perhaps we can use a similar setup
in Nancy. But it will be experimental - so it might or might not
work out.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:42:03 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: "Azita Kia (akia)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Mail-Followup-To: "Azita Kia (akia)" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 09:36:33AM -0700, Azita Kia (akia) wrote:
 
> Can someone please point me to the drivng directions, or an online tool
> that can create them, from Paris to Loria ?

I believe the easiest choice is really to take the train. Unless you
really want to have this special experience of driving a car in France
and through Paris in particular. 

Olivier Festor might have more details for you in case you really want 
to go by car.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: RE: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:36:33 -0700
From: "Azita Kia \(akia\)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: 

Can someone please point me to the drivng directions, or an online tool
that can create them, from Paris to Loria ?

Thanks,
Azita

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 6:12 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated

I have updated the agenda for the 18th NMRG meeting in Nancy next
weekend. Please check the updated meeting web page:

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2005/nancy/

I basically squeezed all the prepared presentations and demonstrations
into Saturday. This way, the ideas and perhaps differing views can
settle in our brains during the evening. 

We will start on Sunday with discussions to identify
research/engineering questions related to the whole VoIP management
problem space and how they fit into a common picture. Once we have
identified a list of topics, we will have another discuss to identify
plans and followup activities to address at least some of the identified
research/engineering questions.

Like usual, we need to take minutes. I would prefer if someone can
already volunteer to be our minute taker or scribe before the meeting.
I also like to put the presentation material online - so please send me
your slides in PDF format so that I can link the material to the web
page.

People arriving on Friday who want to join for dinner should show up at
08:00 pm in the Akena Prestige. We will then just look for a nice place
somewhere in the city center which can host us.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I am
looking forward to see you in Nancy. Have a safe trip.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen,
Germany
--
!! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
!! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe or
adjust !! your settings, send a mail message to
<[email-masked]> !! or look at
https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:37:08 -0400
Cc: 
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi,

What would it take to capture the audio and make this available via
the NMRG web page? Potential participants in NMRG often seem to lack
travel funds (including myself). Being able to follow what was
presented and discussed would be nice. 

Does anybody have the equipment and software to capture the audio and
convert it to an MP3 file (or other file format) for the NMRG web
site?

Thanks,
David Harrington
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen 
> Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 9:12 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
> 
> I have updated the agenda for the 18th NMRG meeting in Nancy next
> weekend. Please check the updated meeting web page:
> 
> http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2005/nancy/
> 
> I basically squeezed all the prepared presentations and 
> demonstrations 
> into Saturday. This way, the ideas and perhaps differing 
> views can settle 
> in our brains during the evening. 
> 
> We will start on Sunday with discussions to identify 
> research/engineering 
> questions related to the whole VoIP management problem space 
> and how they
> fit into a common picture. Once we have identified a list of 
> topics, we 
> will have another discuss to identify plans and followup 
> activities to 
> address at least some of the identified research/engineering 
> questions.
> 
> Like usual, we need to take minutes. I would prefer if someone can
> already volunteer to be our minute taker or scribe before the
meeting.
> I also like to put the presentation material online - so please send
> me your slides in PDF format so that I can link the material to the 
> web page.
> 
> People arriving on Friday who want to join for dinner should show up

> at 08:00 pm in the Akena Prestige. We will then just look for a nice
> place somewhere in the city center which can host us.
> 
> If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I
> am looking forward to see you in Nancy. Have a safe trip.
> 
> /js
> 
> -- 
> Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
> <http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 
> 28725 Bremen, Germany
> -- 
> !! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
> !! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To 
> unsubscribe or adjust
> !! your settings, send a mail message to 
> <[email-masked]>
> !! or look at https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.
> 

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:11:49 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] nancy meeting agenda updated
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I have updated the agenda for the 18th NMRG meeting in Nancy next
weekend. Please check the updated meeting web page:

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2005/nancy/

I basically squeezed all the prepared presentations and demonstrations 
into Saturday. This way, the ideas and perhaps differing views can settle 
in our brains during the evening. 

We will start on Sunday with discussions to identify research/engineering 
questions related to the whole VoIP management problem space and how they
fit into a common picture. Once we have identified a list of topics, we 
will have another discuss to identify plans and followup activities to 
address at least some of the identified research/engineering questions.

Like usual, we need to take minutes. I would prefer if someone can
already volunteer to be our minute taker or scribe before the meeting.
I also like to put the presentation material online - so please send
me your slides in PDF format so that I can link the material to the 
web page.

People arriving on Friday who want to join for dinner should show up 
at 08:00 pm in the Akena Prestige. We will then just look for a nice
place somewhere in the city center which can host us.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I
am looking forward to see you in Nancy. Have a safe trip.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:30:39 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 31, 2005 : Need list of participants
Mail-Followup-To: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 07:20:14PM -0700, David T. Perkins wrote:

> Also, are there any plans for a dinner together on friday night?

No official plans yet. I will arrive around 6pm if the trains are on
time and I am going to stay in the Akena Prestige. In France, people
tend to have dinner late so we could simply say that we meet at the 
Akena Prestige at say 8pm and find a place from there.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:20:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
To: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 31, 2005 : Need list of participants
Cc: [email-masked], Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>

HI,

Also, are there any plans for a dinner together on friday night?

Regards,
/david t. perkins

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Olivier Festor wrote:

> Dear all,
> 
> 
> Since the NMRG meeting in Nancy will take place during the week-end  
> where the lab is usually supposed to be closed, I need the list of  
> participants at least a week before the meeting takes place to get  
> some badges prepared. If you intend to join the meeting, please send  
> me a mail with your surname + Name (thats all I need).
> 
> Best Regards
> 
> Olivier Festor
> Responsable Scientifique du projet MADYNES
> LORIA-INRIA Lorraine
> [email-masked]
> 
> 
> -- 
> !! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
> !! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To unsubscribe or adjust
> !! your settings, send a mail message to <[email-masked]>
> !! or look at https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.
> 

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:39:53 -0300
From: "Paulo Henrique Aguiar Rodrigues" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] ENC: Voice quality monitoring at RNP (Brazilian Education and Research Network)

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C58EFD.9066AF75
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

To NMRG list:

=20

This is information that may be of interest to some of you.

=20

The Brazilian Education and Research Network (RNP) has deployed a VoIP
quality monitoring architecture based on the collection via Radius of
voice quality CDRs generated directly by modified VoIP clients. These
clients use our own developed VQuality library.  VQuality implements the
E-model and its extensions for objective voice quality measurement. The
library also supports generation of a customized voice quality CDR with
extensions that permit transfer of quality parameters measured over
different instants of time along the call.

=20

Check http://www.voip.nce.ufrj.br/index_papers_2005_en.htm for paper.
Revised version of this paper will be presented at MMNS 2005.

Paulo Aguiar

RNP VoIP Task Force Coordinator

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Eliminate annoying spam!

My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.
http://www.ihatespam.net

=20

------_=_NextPart_001_01C58EFD.9066AF75
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

<head>
<meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium)">
<style>
<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:Verdana;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p
	{mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";}
tt
	{font-family:"Courier New";}
span.EstiloDeEmail19
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EstiloDeEmail20
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
@page Section1
	{size:595.3pt 841.9pt;
	margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body lang=3DPT-BR link=3Dblue vlink=3Dpurple>

<div class=3DSection1>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'>To NMRG =
list:<o:p></o:p></span></font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></=
font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'>This is information that =
may be of
interest to some of you.<o:p></o:p></span></font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></=
font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'>The Brazilian Education =
and
Research Network (RNP) has deployed a VoIP quality monitoring =
architecture
based on the collection via Radius of voice quality CDRs generated =
directly by
modified VoIP clients. These clients use our own developed VQuality =
library.
&nbsp;VQuality implements the E-model and its extensions for objective =
voice
quality measurement. The library also supports generation of a =
customized voice
quality CDR with extensions that permit transfer of quality parameters =
measured
over different instants of time along the =
call.<o:p></o:p></span></font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><tt><font size=3D2 face=3DVerdana><span =
lang=3DEN-US
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Verdana'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></=
font></tt></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Check <a
href=3D"http://www.voip.nce.ufrj.br/index_papers_2005_en.htm">http://www.=
voip.nce.ufrj.br/index_papers_2005_en.htm</a>
for paper. Revised version of this paper will be presented at MMNS =
2005.</span><o:p></o:p></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>Paulo Aguiar<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=3D3
face=3D"Times New Roman"><span lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:12.0pt'>RNP VoIP Task
Force Coordinator<o:p></o:p></span></font></p>

<p style=3D'margin-bottom:12.0pt'><font size=3D2 face=3D"Times New =
Roman"><span
lang=3DEN-US =
style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'>----------------------------------------------=
-----------------------<br>
Eliminate annoying spam!<br>
<br>
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster.<br>
</span></font><font size=3D2><span style=3D'font-size:10.0pt'><a
href=3D"http://www.ihatespam.net" =
target=3D"_blank">http://www.ihatespam.net</a></span></font><o:p></o:p></=
p>

<p class=3DMsoNormal><font size=3D3 face=3D"Times New Roman"><span =
style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></font></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C58EFD.9066AF75--

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:58:31 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
Mail-Followup-To: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Re: NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 31, 2005 : Need list of participants
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:14:10AM +0200, Olivier Festor wrote:

> Since the NMRG meeting in Nancy will take place during the week-end  
> where the lab is usually supposed to be closed, I need the list of  
> participants at least a week before the meeting takes place to get  
> some badges prepared. If you intend to join the meeting, please send  
> me a mail with your surname + Name (thats all I need).

A good approximation is the list of names I have collected on the
meeting web page. In fact, if someone think his/her name is missing, 
please drop me a note so that I can keep the meeting page current.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Subject: RE: [nmrg] NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 31, 2005 : Need list of participants
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:17:38 +0300
From: "Romascanu, Dan \(Dan\)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Olivier Festor" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <[email-masked]>
Cc: 

I plan to attend.

Dan Romascanu 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Olivier Festor
> Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]; Juergen Schoenwaelder
> Cc: Olivier Festor
> Subject: [nmrg] NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 
> 31,2005 : Need list of participants
> 
> Dear all,
> 
> 
> Since the NMRG meeting in Nancy will take place during the 
> week-end where the lab is usually supposed to be closed, I 
> need the list of participants at least a week before the 
> meeting takes place to get some badges prepared. If you 
> intend to join the meeting, please send me a mail with your 
> surname + Name (thats all I need).
> 
> Best Regards
> 
> Olivier Festor
> Responsable Scientifique du projet MADYNES LORIA-INRIA 
> Lorraine [email-masked]
> 
> 
> --
> !! This message is brought to you via the `nmrg' mailing list.
> !! Please do not reply to this message to unsubscribe. To 
> unsubscribe or adjust !! your settings, send a mail message 
> to <[email-masked]> !! or look at 
> https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/mailman/listinfo/nmrg.
> 

From: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:14:10 +0200
To: [email-masked], Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Cc: Olivier Festor <[email-masked]>
Subject: [nmrg] NMRG Meeting in Nancy, France on July 30 & 31, 2005 : Need list of participants

Dear all,

Since the NMRG meeting in Nancy will take place during the week-end  
where the lab is usually supposed to be closed, I need the list of  
participants at least a week before the meeting takes place to get  
some badges prepared. If you intend to join the meeting, please send  
me a mail with your surname + Name (thats all I need).

Best Regards

Olivier Festor
Responsable Scientifique du projet MADYNES
LORIA-INRIA Lorraine
[email-masked]

Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:40:27 +0200
From: Klaus Sperner <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Announcement: View MIBs as SVG (scalable vector graphics)

Hi All!

During my master thesis (advised by Frank Strauss) I developed a new 
driver to the smidump program which generates SVG diagrams from MIB 
modules. If you are interested in getting an overview about a MIB module 
before you look at the details, this tool is made for you.

For a much more detailed explanation of the driver look at the libsmi 
website: http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/svg/index.html .
There you can find information about SVG viewers, installation and 
invocation and the generated SVG diagrams. Furthermore a web interface 
to smidump is provided which enables you to generate SVG diagrams 
online: http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/svg/mib2svg.cgi .

So I invite you to install a SVG viewer, point your browser to the 
MIBtoSVG web interface and play around with it.

Feedback is highly welcome, mail your comments and suggestions to the 
libsmi mailing list <[email-masked]> or directly to me.

With kind regards,
Klaus Sperner

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>
Organization: Sparta
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:51:13 -0700
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Re: nmrgScalability of Netconf

>>>>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:00:32 +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> said:

Juergen> I totally agree - but we continue to hear stories of boxes
Juergen> dying with slightly more than a dozen IPsec associations.

FYI, these are figures showing the number of IPsec SAs that a linux
box handled a number of years ago (I forget the CPU speed of the
laptop, but it had about 512Mb of memory). The IPsec stack was NISTs
running on a 2.4 kernel.

http://sbsm.hardakers.net/sadb-insert.png
http://sbsm.hardakers.net/sadb-speed.png

In short, just the creation of SAs (and these were manually created,
not via IKE) didn't affect much till you got out into the >10000
range.

(sorry about the fuzzy pictures...  converted quickly from postscript)

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:25:38 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: 
Subject: [nmrg] Re: Scalability of Netconf
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:01:17PM +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> I am running this script on a 3GHz Pentium with 512 MB Ram (so really
> nothing high end for a management system) running Linux 2.6.10. I 
> keep 300 connections open and the funny thing is that this box does 
> not at really get stressed by this. The load never went above 0.1% 
> and was most of the time significantly below. The memory used excluding
> buffers was ~235 MB.

Today I was running 1200 ssh connections using the same basic script
on the same box. The load again never went above 0.1 while the memory 
usage went up to ~494 MB. Shall I try 10.000 tomorrow? With 2GB of
memory this should be possible. The two Linux XEON servers that play 
the remote end for 600 connections each do not seem to bother much 
about all this.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nmrg] Re: nmrgScalability of Netconf 
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:20:00 -0400
From: Phil Shafer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>, Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]

Juergen Schoenwaelder writes:
>filling 512 MB (or
>you can easily and cheaply get 1GB or more these days) with ssh state
>data also requires rather poor implementations (like my stupid script 
>for example).

Or the use of java ;^)/2

Thanks,
 Phil

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 19:00:32 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [nmrg] Re: nmrgScalability of Netconf
Mail-Followup-To: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>, Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:04:58AM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:

> I'd expect the limiting fact in that to be the memory not the CPU
> speed.  Machines of that caliber can handle huge numbers of web
> connections without blinking much.  The number of TCP connections
> won't be the limiting factor at all, I don't think.  The CPU speed
> will certainly be affected by the continuous stream of cryptographic
> connections, but unless you're doing something like using multiple
> clients connecting at once you have no way to be sure that the server
> is not the limiting factor there and not your client.

I totally agree - but we continue to hear stories of boxes dying with
slightly more than a dozen IPsec associations. And I do know from
experience that some OSes are not as scalable as some other OSes. 
Some OSes are rather good these days in dynamically allocating TCP 
control blocks and process table entries when needed. In the not
so good old days, these things often had static limits you could
run into. But this is mostly history now.

I am actually not even sure memory is the issue - filling 512 MB (or
you can easily and cheaply get 1GB or more these days) with ssh state
data also requires rather poor implementations (like my stupid script 
for example).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>
Organization: Sparta
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:04:58 -0700
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Re: nmrgScalability of Netconf

>>>>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:01:17 +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> said:

Juergen> I am running this script on a 3GHz Pentium with 512 MB Ram
Juergen> (so really nothing high end for a management system) running
Juergen> Linux 2.6.10. I keep 300 connections open and the funny thing
Juergen> is that this box does not at really get stressed by this. The
Juergen> load never went above 0.1% and was most of the time
Juergen> significantly below. The memory used excluding buffers was
Juergen> ~235 MB.

I'd expect the limiting fact in that to be the memory not the CPU
speed.  Machines of that caliber can handle huge numbers of web
connections without blinking much.  The number of TCP connections
won't be the limiting factor at all, I don't think.  The CPU speed
will certainly be affected by the continuous stream of cryptographic
connections, but unless you're doing something like using multiple
clients connecting at once you have no way to be sure that the server
is not the limiting factor there and not your client.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Sparta, Inc.

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:03:08 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>
Mail-Followup-To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Re: Scalability of Netconf
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 04:01:17PM +0200, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:

> P.S. Attached is the ugly quick and dirty script - I am sorry for
>      using Tcl and not Perl - I am sure Perl will make this faster. :-)

Sorry, as usual I forgot to attach...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb
Content-Type: application/x-tcl
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="ssh-test.tcl"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

#! /usr/bin/tclsh=0A=0Aset host $argv=0Aset msg "hello world"=0A=0Aproc deb=
ug {msg} {=0A    puts stderr $msg=0A}=0A=0Aproc test {f} {=0A    global msg=
=0A    debug "testing $f"=0A    puts $f $msg=0A    flush $f=0A    debug "+-=
> write ok"=0A    gets $f reply=0A    if {[eof $f]} {=0A	error "$f: unexpec=
ted EOF - remote end gone away?"=0A    }=0A    debug "+-> gets ok"=0A    if=
 {[string compare $msg $reply] !=3D 0} {=0A	error "$f: comparison failed: $=
msg !=3D $reply"=0A    }=0A    debug "+-> cmp ok"=0A    return 1=0A}=0A=0Af=
or {set i 1} {$i <=3D 50} {incr i} {=0A    set f($i) [open "| ssh -s $host =
cat" r+]=0A    debug "opened $f($i)"=0A    after 50=0A    test $f($i)=0A}=
=0A=0Afor {set l 0} {$l < 1000} {incr l} {=0A    debug "sleeping"=0A    aft=
er 2000=0A    foreach i [array names f] {=0A	after 10=0A	test $f($i)=0A    =
}=0A}=0A=0Aforeach i [array names f] {=0A    debug "closing $f($i)"=0A    c=
atch {close $f($i)}=0A}=0A=0Aexit=0A
--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb--

Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:01:17 +0200
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>
Mail-Followup-To: Sharon Chisholm <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] Re: Scalability of Netconf
Reply-To: [email-masked]

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 01:19:57PM -0400, Sharon Chisholm wrote:
 
> These would be interesting numbers to get. I've heard related (but
> opposite?) concerns around being able to get the most out of each
> netconf connection to ensure that more complex deployments don't max out
> on connections. This might eventually require us to continue the
> channelization discussions which was mainly deferred, but I think that
> can wait a bit. First step would be to determine if this is really an
> issue in practice.

I am not yet done with my experiments. So far, I have writen a script
which connects to ssh subsystems I called cat:

Subsystem       cat     /bin/cat

The script kicks off a standard ssh client to connect to a remote cat 
subsystem and then starts a loop where it periodically sends a message
and checks whether that is echoed back correctly. Nothing fancy. (Note
that this script is rather heavy weight since it requires a new ssh
process for each connection - a more serious implementation would
require some C code so that you can keep multiple connections in one
process.)

I am running this script on a 3GHz Pentium with 512 MB Ram (so really
nothing high end for a management system) running Linux 2.6.10. I 
keep 300 connections open and the funny thing is that this box does 
not at really get stressed by this. The load never went above 0.1% 
and was most of the time significantly below. The memory used excluding
buffers was ~235 MB.

Given that the script is really a crude resource hog, the box performed
much better than expected. The next step is probably to shoot for
1000 ssh connections with this crude script. I just have to setup
more cat subsystems to talk to...

/js

P.S. I admit that my Mac OS X notebook does not behave that friendly
     since I was simply running out of slots in the process table. ;-)

P.S. Attached is the ugly quick and dirty script - I am sorry for
     using Tcl and not Perl - I am sure Perl will make this faster. :-)

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany