Subject: Re: [nmrg] 91th nmrg meeting in stockholm
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: David B Harrington <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:39:01 +0100
List-Id: Network Management Research Group <nmrg.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 11:13:17AM -0500, David B Harrington wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
> 
> Can you provide links to the reading materials so we can access them? 
>

Conference publications usually require to transfer copyrights to the
publisher. I have added links to the sites provided by publishers
where you can find the papers. Whether you can download them depends
on the relationship between you or your organization and the publisher.

The other option is to contact the authors and to ask them whether
they are allowed to send you an electronic copy under the copyright
transfer paper they have signed.

If people from KTH send me a URL for their technical report, I am
happy to link directly to the report from the meeting page.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [nmrg] 91th nmrg meeting in stockholm
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:13:17 -0500
Cc: 
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi Juergen,

Can you provide links to the reading materials so we can access them? 

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen 
> Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 5:55 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nmrg] 91th nmrg meeting in stockholm
> 
> The 19th NMRG meeting will take place in Stockholm in January 12-13
> 2006. Attached is the current snapshot of the meeting web page - you
> can always find the most up-to-date version on the NMRG web site.
> 
> If you plan to attend and you are not yet on the list on the web
page,
> please drop me a note so that I can add your name. Having an
overview
> of the number of participants helps our local host to provide us
> excellent services.
> 
> /js
> 
> -- 
> Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
> <http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 
> 28725 Bremen, Germany
> 

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:54:39 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] 91th nmrg meeting in stockholm
Reply-To: [email-masked]

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline

The 19th NMRG meeting will take place in Stockholm in January 12-13
2006. Attached is the current snapshot of the meeting web page - you
can always find the most up-to-date version on the NMRG web site.

If you plan to attend and you are not yet on the list on the web page,
please drop me a note so that I can add your name. Having an overview
of the number of participants helps our local host to provide us
excellent services.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="nmrg-announce.txt"

	       19th NMRG Meeting in Stockholm (Sweden)

			 January 12-13, 2006

The 19th NMRG meeting will be held in Stockholm (Sweden) on January
12-13 2006.  The meeting will start at 09:00. The chair of this
meeting is Juergen Schoenwaelder. The local host of this meeting is
KTH. Our contact is Rolf Stadler . The NMRG meeting will be sponsored
by the European MAGIX Network of Excellence which is funded through
the IST program of the European Union.

Scope
-----

The 19th meeting of the Network Management Research Group (NMRG) of
the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF) will focus on two topics:

  * Promise Theory (organized by Mark Burgess)

    A paper presented at DSOM 2005 introduced a model where nodes in a
    network cooperate based on promises they make to other
    nodes. Nodes are considered to be highly autonomous in their
    decisions but they might promise a certain behavior to others and
    take benefits of the promises made by other nodes.  This model
    leads to a different view at policies. For the details, see Mark
    Burgess' DSOM 2005 paper.

  * New Approaches to Distributed Management (organized by Rolf Stadler)

    The need for network management in large-scale and dynamic network
    environments calls for solutions beyond traditional management
    paradigms.  Approaches based on network programming, management
    overlays, p2p computing, as well as distributed aggregation and
    control schemes, have been recently proposed to engineer
    management systems that scale beyond 1000s of nodes and are robust
    regarding topology changes and failures. The second day of the
    workshop will explore this issue further, investigate whether
    there are any management-specific building blocks missing, and how
    massively distributed approaches relate to conventional ones
    developed in the past. The workshop will include presentations and
    demonstrations by the management research group at KTH.

The workshop format will be short prepared presentations (15-20
minutes) followed by extensive discussion. The presentations will
introduce and survey technologies which are under development and
which focus on one of the topics listed above.

Minutes will be taken during the workshop. Some authors/editors will
be selected who volunteer to work towards an RFC or some other
suitable publication after the workshop which summarizes the state of
the art and any insights gained during the workshop.

All interested parties are invited to join the workshop. However, the
number of attendees will be limited due to the limited space available
and to achieve a productive workshop atmosphere. In case of over
subscription, preference will be given to people who are willing to
prepare a presentation and to lead a discussion. The list of accepted
presentations will be posted on the NMRG meeting web page which will
be updated regularly and also contains information about the
logistics.

http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/nmrg/meetings/2006/stockholm/

Please contact the meeting chair Juergen Schoenwaelder if you plan to
join the meeting with a short description how you plan to contribute
to a successful workshop.

Agenda (to be revised)
----------------------

Thursday (2006-01-12)

09:00 Introduction to Promise Theory
      Mark Burgess (University College Oslo, Norway)
10:30 Coffee Break
11:00 Relation to Game Theory, Economics, and Graph Theory
12:00 Lunch Break
13:00 Applications: SLA, BGP, QoS, cfengine, ...
15:00 Coffee Break
15:30 Discussion
      Everybody

Friday (2006-01-13)

09:00 Traditional Approaches to Distributed Management and their
      Standardization
      J?rgen Sch?nw?lder (International University Bremen, Germany)
09:30 New Approaches to Achieve Scalability and Robustness
      New Approaches to Achieve Scalability and Robustness
      Rolf Stadler (KTH, Sweden)
10:30 Coffee Break
11:00 Examples of Scalable Monitoring through Decentralization
      Real-time Views Based on Relational Models
      Distributed Threshold Detection
      Real-time Monitoring with Accuracy Objectives
      Various speakers from KTH
12:00 Lunch Break
13:00 Demos at KTH Networking Laboratory
13:30 Invited Presentations
      Distributed Interdomain Management: Domain Composition
      Distributed Configuration Management
      Distributed Management of P2P Networks and Services
      Speakers to be announced
15:00 Coffee Break
15:30 Discussion
16:30 Workshop closes

Reading List
------------

 1. M. Burgess: An Approach to Understanding Policy Based on Autonomy and
    Voluntary Cooperation, 16th IFIP/IEEE Distributed Systems Operations and
    Management (DSOM 2005), Springer LNCS 3775, October 2005.
 2. A. Gonzalez Prieto, R. Stadler: Distributed Real-time Monitoring with
    Accuracy Objectives, KTH Technical Report, December 2005.
 3. F. Wuhib, A. Clemm, M. Dam, R. Stadler: Decentralized Computation of
    Threshold Crossing Alerts, 16th IFIP/IEEE Distributed Systems Operations
    and Management (DSOM 2005), Springer LNCS 3775, October 2005.
 4. K.S. Lim and R. Stadler: Real-time views of network traffic using
    decentralized management, 9th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on
    Integrated Network Management (IM 2005), Nice, France, May 16-19, 2005.

Meeting Place
-------------

The meeting will be held at the Laboratory of Communication Networks
(LCN) at KTH:

Laboratory for Communication Networks (LCN)
KTH Campus, S3 Building, Floor 5
Osquldas vaeg 10
SE-100 44 Stockholm
Sweden

Access information can be found here.

Accomodation
------------

Below is a choice of some hotels all located within walking distance of the KTH
campus. The prices given are special rates for KTH visitors (10 SEK = 1.05
Euros). Please mention this when booking.

 1. HOTEL ODEN
    Karlbergsvaegen 24
    102 34 Stockholm
    Tel: +46 457 97 00
    Price: SEK 955.-

 2. HOTEL BIRGER JARL
    Tulegatan 8
    104 32 Stockholm
    Tel: +46 674 18 00
    Price: SEK 1010,-

 3. HOTEL ARCADIA
    Koersbaersvaegen 1
    114 89 Stockholm
    Tel: +46 566 215 00
    Price: SEK 769,-

 4. SCANDIC HOTEL ANGLAIS
    Humlegardsgatan 23
    102 44 Stockholm
    Tel: +46 517 340 00
    Price: SEK 1420.-

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:58:21 +0100
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] [[email-masked]: Impending publication: draft-iab-irtf-01.txt]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi,

let me point your attention to the following message which explains
some of the IAB thoughts on the IRTF and their RGs. Please read and if
you have comments, send them to the IAB by December 14th.

/js

----- Forwarded message from Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]> -----

To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>
From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:17:59 -0500
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Impending publication: draft-iab-irtf-01.txt 
Precedence: list
Errors-To: [email-masked]

The IAB is ready to ask the RFC-Editor to publish

   IAB Thoughts on the Role of the Internet Research Task Force
                                 (IRTF)
                          draft-iab-irtf-01.txt

as an Informational RFC.  The chief purpose of this document
was to collect and record a set of considerations the IAB
discussed in the process of reviewing the IRTF Chair position
last year.  As such, it is not suggesting process or structure
changes at this time, and is primarily intended to capture IAB
state.  Comments are therefore most likely to be of the form
of suggestions for improving clarity.

The IAB solicits comments by December 14, 2005. Please send
comments to the IAB ([email-masked]), or to [email-masked].

The document can be found at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-irtf-01.txt

>From the Abstract:

    This document is an IAB (Internet Architecture Board) report on the
    role of the IRTF (Internet Research Task Force), both on its own and
    in relationsip to the IETF.  This document evolved from a discussion
    within the IAB as part of a process of appointing a new chair of the
    IRTF.

Leslie Daigle,
      For the IAB.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

----- End forwarded message -----