Subject: [nmrg] 2nd CFP: IJNM Special Issue on Flow-based Approaches in Network Management

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 15:50:36 +0000

[We apologize for multiple copies of this call]

A PDF version of this call can be downloaded at:
http://people.cs.aau.dk/rsadre/ijnm/sp_cfp.pdf

CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Issue of the International Journal on Network Management (IJNM):
"Flow-based Approaches in Network Management:
Recent Advances and Future Trends"

Submission Deadline: October 15, 2013
Publication: June, 2014

Scope of the Special Issue

The continuous increase of line speeds and loads in modern computer
networks has considerably stimulated the usage of aggregation-based
monitoring techniques for network management in the past years. Amongst
those, flow-based approaches have become extremely popular among
researchers and operators due to the wide availability of hardware and
software flow exporters and their quasi-standardized exporting formats,
such as Netflow or IPFIX. While flow-based monitoring was originally
used in simple diagnosing and accounting tasks, researchers are now
proposing flow-based approaches for a wide range of application fields,
such as intrusion detection, traffic classification, and resource
management. New environments, such as Clouds or Software Defined
Networks, demand for new flow-based solutions for their monitoring and
management. Furthermore, we observe more and more attempts to close the
gap between packet-based and flow-based monitoring. As the latter was
originally proposed as an efficient and feasible alternative to deep
packet inspection in high-speed networks, the most recent flow exporters
allow enriching the exported flow data with application-layer
information. It can be expected that this will lead to new approaches
and solutions for network management problems.

The goal of this Special Issue is to present innovative flow-based
approaches and solutions for network management tasks as well as new
methods and technologies for the generation, processing and analysis of
flow information. Therefore, this Special Issue of the International
Journal on Network Management covers ongoing research on the usage of
flow-based approaches, on the design and implementation of flow
monitoring devices and infrastructures, and on the emerging trends in
flow-based technologies and applications. Tutorial-style articles in
these fields are also solicited, if they provide a structured
introduction and a clear overview of state-of-the-art technologies,
mechanisms, or architectures, and newly emerging challenges as well as
problems.

Areas of Interest

Contributions in the following areas are of specific interest, but not
limited to:
* Flow-Based Accounting
* Flow-Based Intrusion and Anomaly Detection
* Flow-Based Problem Diagnosis
* Flow-Based Traffic Classification
* Flow-Based Monitoring of Applications and Services
* Usage of Flow Monitoring in Cloud Environments
* Flow-based Monitoring for Bandwidth Allocation
* Visualization of Flow Data
* Characterization of Network Traffic on Flow Level
* Hybrid Packet-Flow-Based Approaches
* Efficient Storage and Analysis of Flow Data
* Design and Implementation of Flow Monitoring Equipment and Infrastructures
* Future Trends in Flow Monitoring
* Interaction between IPFIX and SDN
* Special-purpose management scenarios

Submission Guidelines

Authors should submit their papers in PDF format only to
http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/nem
The paper submission should not exceed 20 pages (double-space). Author
instructions are available at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291099-1190/homepage/ForAuthors.html
and the respective LaTeX template can be found at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291099-1190/homepage/latex_class_file.htm
All submissions will be peer-reviewed. In case of an acceptance, the
final and camera-ready version has to take into account comments of
reviewers and needs to follow the template's requirements.

Important Deadlines

Submission Deadline: October 15, 2013
Notification of Acceptance: February 15, 2014
Final Version: March 15, 2014
Publication: June 1, 2014

Submissions to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/nem  in PDF only.

Guest Editors

Ramin Sadre, Aalborg University, Denmark <[email-masked]>
Anna Sperotto, University of Twente, Netherlands <[email-masked]>
Nevil Brownlee, The University of Auckland, New Zealand <[email-masked]>
Rick Hofstede, University of Twente, Netherlands <[email-masked]>