Subject: Re: [nmrg] NRMG Activity on Autonomics

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:40:08 +0200

Olivier,

Thanks for an interesting topic.
> Dear NMRG subscribers,
>
> Over the last couple of years, Autonomics has gained a lot attention in both academia and industry. After the initial "buzz", the basic concepts of autonomics remain extremely promising in the area of networking, in particular when considering the flexibilty provided by the emerging technologies in virtualization and software defined networking.  In this context, a focused activity on Autonomics is proposed within the Network Management Research Group. A dedicated session will take place during the next IETF meeting in Vancouver (a slot for the NMRG has been requested to this end). Initial discussions on importance and possible contributions in terms of I-Ds to the IRTF on this topic include:
>
>   - an IRTF-NMRG definition of Autonomic networking terms
This agenda topic above is key.
When speaking about Autonomic Networking with different persons, I came 
to realize that everybody has got his own definition (a little bit like 
SDN, but let's not go there). There is a mix of automation, 
optimization, self-learning, process improvement, etc...

Part of the definitions, or linked to it, it would be interested to 
understand what the problem statements and use cases are. Equally 
important, what Autonomic Networking is NOT about (to take the same 
analogy, is it like SDN? Is it going to save the world?).
If it's about automation and optimization in networks and devices, is 
this really new? I mean, RFC 2819, done in 2000, specified RMON event 
and alarm: is this already some sort of Autonomic Networking.

So some points and questions in this email, basically to start the 
discussion.

Regards, Benoit
>   - Report and sharing of experiences in (un-)successful deployment of autonomic functions in IP networks.
>
> We invite all of you to contribute to the discussion that will start on this list and invite you to consider submitting (and contributing to) I-Ds  in this area in the near future.
>
> Best Regards
>
> /Olivier Festor & Lisandro Zambenedetti Granville.
> NMRG Co-Chairs
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> nmrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nmrg
> .
>

---

From: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:16:21 +0000

NMRG, 

We would like to present two documents in the upcoming NMRG meeting: 

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behringer-autonomic-network-framework-01
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-behringer-homenet-trust-bootstrap-01

The first is our vision and framework on autonomic networking, it includes also our definitions in this space, for discussion. 

The second is an autonomic way to bootstrap trust in a domain. 

Sorry for the late post, but we wanted to update the documents before suggesting. I'm looking forward to the meeting! 

Michael

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Olivier Festor
> Sent: 21 September 2013 07:59
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [nmrg] NRMG Activity on Autonomics
> 
> Dear NMRG subscribers,
> 
> Over the last couple of years, Autonomics has gained a lot attention in both
> academia and industry. After the initial "buzz", the basic concepts of
> autonomics remain extremely promising in the area of networking, in
> particular when considering the flexibilty provided by the emerging
> technologies in virtualization and software defined networking.  In this
> context, a focused activity on Autonomics is proposed within the Network
> Management Research Group. A dedicated session will take place during
> the next IETF meeting in Vancouver (a slot for the NMRG has been
> requested to this end). Initial discussions on importance and possible
> contributions in terms of I-Ds to the IRTF on this topic include:
> 
> We invite all of you to contribute to the discussion that will start on this list
> and invite you to consider submitting (and contributing to) I-Ds  in this area
> in the near future.
> 
> Best Regards
>

---

From: Laurent Ciavaglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:41:58 +0200

Dear Lisandro, Olivier,

I am thinking of 3 short presentations I could give (10-15 min. each, 
depending on time allowed):
     1) Experiences in deployment of autonomic functions in IP/(G)MPLS 
networks covering:
         .Risk-aware routing for IGP-LS protocols [IM2013 
<http://tinyurl.com/oypujfz>] and Adaptive level of recovery for GMPLS 
networks [ICC2012 <http://tinyurl.com/nt2jl33>].
         .Network-wide scheduling of OSPF Graceful Restarts [CNSM2010 
<http://tinyurl.com/q68pphp>].
         .Root cause analysis for IP-VPNs [ICC2013 
<http://www.ieee-icc.org/2013/NGN.html>].
        The goal is to show how (different) autonomic functionality can 
enhance IP networks' capability and operations.

     2) A running implementation of an autonomic networking framework 
[ICC2012 <http://tinyurl.com/pes68qp>].
        The goal is to outline the potential common building blocks, 
interfaces, models. It could be a good complement to the framework 
proposed by Michael, and inputs to a wider NMRG investigation.

     3) Towards operationally-safe autonomic networks [BLTJ2012 
<http://tinyurl.com/pcldhpj>].
        A slightly more prospective (but equally important) topic on how 
to guarantee trust in autonomic functions at the design- and 
operation-time (e.g. stability, robustness).

In parallel, I also fully support the start of an I-D on autonomic 
networking terms, and volunteer to write a first text before Vancouver 
(which could be discussed on site/during the sessions). I will try to 
share a first draft ASAP.

Best regards, Laurent.