Subject: [nmrg] Fwd: UCAN BoF approved

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:08:43 +0200

Dear all,

Forwarded here, as
  - I don't like cross-posting
  - It  relates to NMRG
Let's have the discussion on the ANIMA mailing list.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	UCAN BoF approved
Date: 	Thu, 12 Jun 2014 11:07:28 +0200
From: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]

Dear all,

As the responsible AD, let me share the news: The IESG/IAB approved the 
UCAN BoF yesterday.

Some concerns were discussed, which would need to addressed on this 
list, during the BoF preparation, or during the BoF:
- What is the commonality between all the use cases?
- How would the IETF attract people to work on this topic? For example, 
the operators.
- Not sure there are universal solutions to the problem space, so it is 
not clear that we should work on the general rather than specific solutions
- "100 people in the room is too optimistic", 30 is more realistic. I 
reduced it to 50 in the WIKI
     ACTION: this email should be forwarded to the homenet WG to attract 
more people

IMO, a successful UCAN BoF would be:
- You explain  (draft-irtf-nmrg-autonomic-network-definitions 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-nmrg-autonomic-network-definitions>, 
draft-irtf-nmrg-an-gap-analysis 
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-nmrg-an-gap-analysis>) and you 
set up the stage on what AN is and what AN is not. The second part is 
equally important, when I see your BoF description "The fundamental goal 
of Autonomic Networking (AN) is self-management, including 
self-configuration, self-optimization, self-healing and self-protection. "
- You provide the criteria for which use cases are in scope.
- You review the different use cases, and try to classify them.
- You try to deduce commonality/requirements between use cases or you 
decide on which specific pain points you want to work on.
- You provide examples of protocol work you envision

*This Bof is accepted, however this is a conditional acceptance*: BoF 
accepted at the condition that the proponents put some serious energy to 
finish the 2 NMRG drafts.

Regards, Benoit