Subject: [nmrg] Open Aggregated Datasets and stats on DNS (.NL ccTLD)

From: "Giovane C. M. Moura" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 14:02:47 +0200

[We apologize for multiple copies.]

*************************************************************
OPEN AGGREGATED DATASETS AND STATS ON DNS (.NL ccTLD)
https://stats.sidnlabs.nl/
*************************************************************

SIDN Labs[1] is happy to announce our new stats and open aggregated
datasets to the Internet/DNS community. It provides:

   *  Visualizations of the DNS traffic for .nl, which is the
country-code top-level domain (ccTLD) for the Netherlands. It also
contains stats on domain registrations, DNS queries, DNSSEC usage, plus
layer-3 and layer-4 information.
   * Longitudinal data: the data we provide are continuous and
longitudinal (starting from May 2014), and daily updated.
   * The respective datasets in JSON format.
   * URL: https://stats.sidnlabs.nl/

Currently, we only provide aggregated data and visualizations, which
means that we do not offer PCAP/Netflow datasets, similarly to the
former Internet2 Netflow Weekly report[2].

However, if you have a novel research idea that would improve the
security and stability of the Internet and would require our data, then
let us know so that we can consider sharing some of the underlying data
with you (subject to our privacy framework and EU and Dutch privacy laws
[3]). Mail us at [email-masked].

ABOUT SIDN AND SIDN LABS:

SIDN[1] manages .nl, the Internet's country-code domain for the
Netherlands. As the Dutch national domain name registry, we enable
Internet users all over the world to register.nl domain names and use
them safely.

We operate the .nl zone of the Domain Name System (DNS) and handle over
a billion DNS queries a day for the 5.5 million-plus registered .nl
domain names. More than 2.4 million of those domain names are secured
with DNSSEC, making .nl the largest secured Internet extension in the
world. We operate our own DNS anycast network to maximise the
availability of the .nl zone and we provide backend services for .aw
(Aruba, a Dutch overseas territory) and .amsterdam.

SIDN Labs[4] is SIDN's research and development team, which develops and
evaluates new technologies and systems with a view to further enhancing
the stability and security of .nl, the DNS and the wider Internet.

DATA DESCRIPTION

The data were obtained by analyzing the DNS traffic received on one of
our authoritative name servers for .nl. They represent approximately 10
per cent of the total traffic, or about 130 million queries per day.
Please note that most of the traffic comes from DNS resolvers, which are
typically located at ISPs/CDNs, and not from end users.

Data interpretation:

Please be aware that, due to DNS caching by the resolvers operated by
ISPs and CDNs, the data are actually a sample of all the .nl queries
generated by clients.

Data format:  The data are made available in JSON format.

Data processing: We use our Hadoop-based ENTRADA platform and our
Domain Registration System (DRS). ENTRADA[5] is an acronym for ENhanced
Top-level domain Resilience through Advanced Data Analysis. The goal of
the ENTRADA platform is to develop new applications and services with a
view to further increasing the security and stability of .nl, the DNS
and the wider internet. ENTRADA enables us to store all the DNS queries
received on our authoritative name servers. Automated analysis of the
stored data helps us to quickly detect threats and anomalies.

Privacy: The data and datasets provided here do not include any
personally identifiable information [3].

Usage/License: The data on this website are licensed under a Creative
Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence.

Contact: Do you have any questions about this site or the statistics? If
so, mail us at [email-masked].

REFERENCES

[1] https://www.sidn.nl/
[2]
https://web.archive.org/web/20130724070129/http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/
[3]
https://www.sidnlabs.nl/uploads/tx_sidnpublications/SIDN_Labs_Privacyraamwerk_Position_Paper_V1.4_ENG.pdf
[4] https://sidnlabs.nl
[5]
https://www.sidnlabs.nl/uploads/tx_sidnpublications/NCSC-presentatie-BIG-data-pub.pdf

Giovane C. M. Moura, PhD. |Data Scientist|SIDN Labs
SIDN | Meander 501 | 6825 MD | Postbus 5022 | 6802 EA | ARNHEM
[email-masked] | https://www.sidn.nl/