Subject: [nmrg] Activities in 2016: your feedback is precious !

From: Laurent Ciavaglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 12:13:18 +0100

Dear NMRG,

In order to organize the group activities for 2016, we solicit your 
feedback on the following items:

*1. 2015 activity report*
    A short report on the NMRG activities for 2015 is available on the 
RG wiki page: 
https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/NetworkManagementResearchGroupReport2015
    Please send us your feedback, things we might have missed, etc.

*2. **Meetings in 2016*
    Below is a list of possible meetings for NMRG:
    .IETF 95, Buenos Aires, April 2016, Topic: TBD
    .NOMS 2016, Istanbul, April 2016, Topic: TBD
    .IETF 96, Berlin, July 2016, Topic: TBD
    .IETF 97, Seoul, November 2016, Topic: TBD

    We plan to hold a minimum of 3 NMRG meetings in 2016 (2 colocated 
with IETF meetings, and 1 with a conference) ; including possibly joint 
meetings with other IRTF RGs (e.g. ICN, SDN, NFV, T2T, NML...) and/or 
relevant IETF WGs.
    As suggested last year, we will also investigate if/how NMRG could 
meet with organizations more coupled to operational aspects, such as 
RIPE, NANOG...
    Again, your views and help are most welcome to shape the most 
appropriate and attractive meetings.
    The actual list of meetings will depend on the topics 
interest/priority/support and may evolve during the year. We will 
advertise as early as possible.

*3. **T**opics of interest*
    We solicit your ideas and suggestions for the topics of interest.
    The feedback received last year is summarized at the end of the email.
    Our objective is twofold:
    1) to vitalize NMRG with strategic, timely and important topics; and
    2) to raise the level of activity/impact/visibility of NMRG, 
including determining a plan of tangible outcome (e.g. IDs, papers...)

Thanks and best regards,
Lisandro and Laurent
NMRG co-chairs.

---
_Previous topics of interest and suggestions expressed:_
- Management of the Internet of Things
- Autonomics management / network learning
- Network-wide safe configuration
- Energy monitoring and management
- Network flow measurement and analysis
- Large-scale network-wide measurements
- Management of virtual machines and clouds
- Service Assurance
- Security management issues
- Shift our focus more from "the design of management technologies" to 
the "analysis of operational problems".
     . how well is BCP38 (IP spoofing) implemented?
     . how much worse is the amplification of DNSSEC? (We will present a 
paper on that at next IMC)
     . what is the behavior of botnets / DGAs?
     . what privacy sensitive data is leaked from various protocols, 
without users awareness?
- Information/content networks management
- Move beyond spatio-temporal analysis of traffic flows and consider 
structure and semantic analysis of information flows
- Cooperative/agent-based management
- Keep more technology-independent approach, for instance instead of 
targeting "NFV" or similar, focus on function placement problems, 
functional-abstraction and network-function driven management.
- Management of an information-centric network
- How ICN can be used to manage networks
- NFV-management specific drafts could be done in NMRG or in close 
cooperation with the proposed NFVRG.
- Schedule a full day meeting and work on RG drafts together (or in 
split groups) during the IETF week (e.g. on Sunday).