Subject: [nmrg] IRTF Special Meeting on AI/ML in Networking - Thursday, August 18th - 18:10-19:10 (NMRG session)

From: "Ciavaglia, Laurent (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 15:54:04 +0000

IRTF Special Meeting on AI/ML in Networking
IETF 102, Montreal, Canada
Thursday, August 18th - 18:10-19:10 Afternoon session III
Duluth Meeting Room (NMRG session)
In the last few years and especially in the last few months, the use of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in networking went from a nice future application to an almost must have. Diverse networking operations from trend detection in traffic monitoring, beam assignment in 5G, congestion control and intent-based networking have identified AI as a means to improve their overall performance under more and more dynamic conditions. One may also imagine how AI can impact the very design of networks and protocols, or else how to solve networking problems in original ways using novel and network-specific artificial intelligence techniques. A number of special issues and conferences have already been organized under these themes and the community wanting to use these new tools is rapidly expanding. In addition to these, network architects and designers are also considering the impact of the use of AI/ML on the network themselves. For example: AI in vehicles generates very large data sets that need to be sent to the cloud for analysis or to rely on fog/edge computing. Traffic engineering also requires to analyze very large amounts of real-time information that then needs to be sent back to the network nodes for updates and new features. And the application landscape is rapidly expanding each with its own requirements on the network.

The meeting wants to bring together the IETF and IRTF community that has interests and stakes in the development of both AI/ML based tools and on the networks that will support them. While we are targeting an open discussion we already have some presentations planned and you are all welcome to submit a request before Friday, July 13th so we can finalize the agenda.
Hoping to see you in Montreal!
Marie-José & Laurent
---

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:09:32 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

As indicated by Laurent, AI/ML is a hot topic for networking.

Just in case, there is an ongoing Call for Papers for a JSAC Special Issue
on AI and ML for Networking and Communications. Though the deadline is July
15, I would encourage any potential contributions to thi Special Issue.
Papers that are registered by July 15 could possibly a deadline extension to
be announced on next Monday.

Should you be interested, please check
<https://www.comsoc.org/jsac/cfp/artificial-intelligence-and-machine-learnin
g-networking-and-communications>
https://www.comsoc.org/jsac/cfp/artificial-intelligence-and-machine-learning
-networking-and-communications

Looking forward to some contributions. Otherwise, the Special Issue should
be published early 2019 and will eventually provide you with useful
contributions.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Prosper Chemouil
Lead Guest Editor, JSAC SI on AI and ML for Networking and Communications
E-mail:  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] 

De : nmrg <[email-masked]> De la part de Ciavaglia, Laurent (Nokia -
FR/Paris-Saclay)
Envoyé : mardi 10 juillet 2018 17:54
À : [email-masked]
Objet : [nmrg] IRTF Special Meeting on AI/ML in Networking - Thursday,
August 18th - 18:10-19:10 (NMRG session)

In the last few years and especially in the last few months, the use of
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in networking went from a nice
future application to an almost must have. Diverse networking operations
from trend detection in traffic monitoring, beam assignment in 5G,
congestion control and intent-based networking have identified AI as a means
to improve their overall performance under more and more dynamic conditions.
One may also imagine how AI can impact the very design of networks and
protocols, or else how to solve networking problems in original ways using
novel and network-specific artificial intelligence techniques. A number of
special issues and conferences have already been organized under these
themes and the community wanting to use these new tools is rapidly
expanding. In addition to these, network architects and designers are also
considering the impact of the use of AI/ML on the network themselves. For
example: AI in vehicles generates very large data sets that need to be sent
to the cloud for analysis or to rely on fog/edge computing. Traffic
engineering also requires to analyze very large amounts of real-time
information that then needs to be sent back to the network nodes for updates
and new features. And the application landscape is rapidly expanding each
with its own requirements on the network.

The meeting wants to bring together the IETF and IRTF community that has
interests and stakes in the development of both AI/ML based tools and on the
networks that will support them. While we are targeting an open discussion
we already have some presentations planned and you are all welcome to submit
a request before Friday, July 13th so we can finalize the agenda.

Marie-José & Laurent

---

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: "Ciavaglia, Laurent (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:57:58 +0000

Dear NMRG,

We have published an updated agenda for this session.
Available on the Meeting page, or below.

See you very soon in Duluth!
Marie-José and Laurent.
---
* Session 2
  Thursday, July 19th, Afternoon session III, 18:10 - 19:10 (1 hour)
  Room: Duluth

  Chairs:
   Laurent Ciavaglia <[email-masked]>
   Marie-José Montpetit < [email-masked]>

  Agenda:
1.  Introduction, Chairs
  5min.

  2. AI in network (Network For AI), Chenlijuan (Rachel)
  10min.

  3. Artifacts for Intelligence Driven Networks, Pedro Martinez-Julia
  10min.

  4. Discussion
  remaining time

From: nmrg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ciavaglia, Laurent (Nokia - FR/Paris-Saclay)
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nmrg] IRTF Special Meeting on AI/ML in Networking - Thursday, August 18th - 18:10-19:10 (NMRG session)

Marie-José & Laurent
---