Subject: [nmrg] Operations and Control of High-Precision Networks

From: Alexander Clemm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 20:45:20 +0000

Dear all,
apologies for the spam, but the below Workshop should be of interest to NMRG - Management of Control of High-Precision Networks (including management and validation of service-level guarantees and associated intent, etc) is very much a network management research topic and it would be great to see submissions from NMRG participants.  The deadline has been extended to September 8; the workshop will take place in Rome on November 9 as part of CNSM, technically cosponsored by IEEE Communications Society and IFIP.
Kind regards
--- Alex

=== Call for Papers ===

1ST INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON
HIGH-PRECISION NETWORKS OPERATIONS AND CONTROL
(HIPNET 2018)

9 November 2018, Rome, Italy

http://www.cnsm-conf.org/2018/hipnet2018.html

Technically co-sponsored by IFIP and IEEE Communications Society

Co-located with the 14th International Conference on
Network and Service Management (CNSM)

--- EXTENDED DEADLINES ---
September 8: Paper submission
Sept 30: Notification of acceptance
Oct 10: Camera-ready

Please note that no further extension can be given

--- SCOPE ---

New waves of networked applications continue to push the limits of what
is possible with networks today. Augmented Reality and Tactile Internet
require ultra-low latency measured in single-digit milliseconds.
Requirements of Industrial Internet applications that involve real-time
industrial control are even more stringent and tolerate no jitter at
all. Compounding this situation is the fact that many of those
applications are mission-critical and cannot afford any loss in
connectivity or even single packets. Collectively, these applications
require High-Precision Networks that are characterized by very
stringent service level boundaries and associated guarantees that
border on determinism. This requires a rethinking of many of the
principles underlying existing "Best Effort" internetworking technology.

Various approaches are emerging that try to tackle those challenges.
Data centers with fixed topologies and a constant number of hops
rapidly replace conventional routing and more general Internet
topologies. Networks are becoming more programmable to allow to
custom-tailor and optimize treatment of packets and flows. Related
technologies range from Service Function Chaining to Network Slicing to
SDN. One overarching question concerns how these technologies can be
harnessed and what additional approaches are needed to be able to
actually deliver on High-Precision Networking. This will involve
advances over a wide range of areas, such as programming and processing
of packets in the data plane, high-precision measurements and telemetry
with nanosecond accuracy at scale, control interfaces and ultra-low
latency control loops to optimize service levels, as well as advances
in the related platforms and algorithms that allow for their management
and control.

The workshop aims to provide a forum for researchers, students and
professionals from industry and academia to discuss challenges and
present work-in-progress and solution approaches to deliver on
High-Precision Networks and their management and control.

--- TOPICS OF INTEREST ---

Topics of Interest to the workshop include but are not limited to the
following:
- Platforms to manage and operate high-precision networks and services,
  e.g. Industrial Networks, Tactile Networks, Augmented Reality (AR)
- Proof and validation of high-precision service level guarantees
- High-precision measurement techniques for ultra-low latency and jitter
- Service assurance for micro services, for service function chains
- Applications for Inband Network Telemetry and iOAM
- High-precision networking using service function chaining
- In-network service level tuning and optimization
- Novel network programming models with applications in high-precision
  Networking
- Applications of Artificial Intelligence for high-precision networking
- Time-Sensitive Networking (TSN) interconnect and wide-area TSN; IP
  and TSN convergence
- SDN applications for high-precision, high-performance networking
- High-precision networking over 5G
- High-Precision networking services using Fog and Edge Computing
- Deployment and operational experiences with Industrial Internet,
  Tactile Internet, networked AR

--- SUBMISSION OF PAPERS ---

Authors are invited to submit original unpublished papers that are not
already under review elsewhere. Submissions will be subjected to a
peer-review process. Papers should be prepared in IEEE 2-column format
and must not exceed 6 pages.  Short papers are accepted as well and
must not exceed 4 pages.

Papers have to be submitted electronically in PDF format through the
EDAS conference management system, accessible via the following link:
HTTPS://EDAS.INFO/N24735

For questions, please contact the Workshop Co-Chair:
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

--- PROCEEDINGS ---

Papers accepted and presented at HiPNet will be published open access
on the conference Web site with IFIP copyright, and will be submitted
for possible inclusion in IEEE Xplore, ACM and IFIP Digital Libraries.

--- IMPORTANT DATES (EXTENDED) ---

Paper submission: September 8th, 2018
Notification: September 30th, 2018
Camera Ready: October 10th, 2018
Workshop: Friday, November 9th, 2018

--- COMMITTEE ---

WORKSHOP CO-CHAIRS
- Raouf Boutaba, University of Waterloo, Canada
- Alexander Clemm, Huawei, USA

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE
- Toufik Ahmed, University of Bordeaux, France
- Lou Berger, LabN Consulting, USA
- Frank Brockners, Cisco, Germany
- Prosper Chemouil, France
- Jiasi Chen, University of California at Riverside, USA
- Uma Chunduri, Huawei, USA
- Filip De Turck, Ghent University - imec, Belgium
- Lijun Dong, Huawei, USA
- Jerome Francois, INRIA Nancy Grand Est, France
- James Hong, POSTECH, South Korea
- Young-Tak Kim, Yeungnam University, South Korea
- Marc Koerner, UC Berkeley, USA
- Rami Langar, University Paris Est Marne-la-Vallee, France
- Johann Marques-Barja, University of Antwerpen, Belgium
- Deep Medhi, University of Missouri - Kansas City, USA
- Michael Menth, University of Tuebingen, Germany
- Jeferson Campos Nobre, University of Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Brazil
- K.K. Ramakrishnan, University of California at Riverside, USA
- Roberto Riggio, FB CREATE-NET, Italy
- Rolf Stadler, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Massimo Tornatore, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Eric Voit, Cisco, USA