Subject: [nmrg] 2nd Workshop on Internet Measurements Research in Africa

From: Amreesh Phokeer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 20:13:41 +0400

{apologies for cross-posting}
{please circulate}

*2nd IMRA WORKSHOPInternet Measurements Research in Africaco-located to
AFRICOMM 2018, 29-30 Nov, Dakar, Senegal*

*Call for Papers/Presentations*
Internet measurements provide useful insights into the accessibility of the
Internet (e.g. coverage of WiFi and cellular networks), performance (e.g.
Internet throughput and latency) and Internet usage. Internet development
campaigners, national regulators, and policy makers in the developing
regions are recognising  the crucial role that Internet measurement data
can play in facilitating evidence-based policy-making and regulation. Given
that the Internet ecosystem comprises a diversity of stakeholders and
service providers it is difficult for any other single entity to access all
of Internet topology data without the cooperation of the Internet
community. For this reason, appropriate acquisition of Internet data
requires a variety of cooperative research methods, including wide
distribution of Internet probes for technical measurements, located in
diverse locations and networks, as well as region-specific techniques and
demand-side surveys on Internet access and use.

The aim of the workshop is to facilitate discussions around mechanisms and
challenges of measuring Africa’s Internet; to evaluate the breadth of
Internet measurements research and to formulate strategic directions for
such research in Africa; and to initiate and accelerate collaboration among
Africa’s Internet measurements researchers.

The workshop is calling for high-quality papers that are focused on
Internet measurements research in Africa. Papers are invited on topics
related to tools, methods and analysis of:

End-to-end Internet performance metrics
Internet topology characteristics, including peering and routing
Application-level performance, including DNS, Web, CDNs, Cloud Computing
Physical layer performance measurements, including for TVWS, WiFi, and 3G/4G
Mobile and Cellular technologies
Detection of middleboxes, censorship, and content filtering
Data analytics for network monitoring, traffic analysis and network
Network topology and performance visualization
Internet access, use, and Quality of Experience (QoE) surveys

*Committee*

*General Workshop Chair*Amreesh Phokeer <[email-masked]> – AFRINIC

*Technical Programme Committee*Ahmed Elmokashfi <[email-masked]> (TPC
Co-chair) – Simula Research Laboratory
Josiah Chavula <[email-masked]> (TPC Co-chair) – University of Cape
Town
Amreesh Phokeer – AFRINIC
Gareth Tyson – Queen Mary University of London
Alemnew Asrese – Aalto University
Ermias Walelgne – Aalto University
Assane Gueye – UADB-Senegal
Roderick Fanou – CAIDA/UC San Diego

*Publication*

Accepted and registered papers will be included in the AFRICOMM conference
proceedings.

*Submission Instructions*
See the instructions for paper submission here:
<http://africommconference.org/initial-submission/>

Workshop papers will be selected through a peer-review process.

N.B Previous and already published peer-reviewed work on Internet
measurements may also be accepted for presentation only. Presentations
should be emailed to the workshop TPC co-chairs.

*Important Dates*Submission deadline: 28th September 2018
Notification deadline: 15th October 2018
Camera-ready deadline: 30th October 2018

-- 
Amreesh Phokeer