Subject: [nmrg] IM 2019 - SliceWoman workshop - Call for Papers

From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 12:09:34 -0300

IEEE 1st International Workshop on:

“Slicing in end-to-end Networks including Wireless: Orchestration &
Management” (SliceWoman) http://clayfour.ee.ucl.ac.uk/slicewoman2019/

Collocated with IM 2019 (International Symposium on Integrated Network
Management) http://im2019.ieee-im.org/

8-12 April 2019 // Washington DC // USA

****Call for Papers (CFP)****

With the emergence of 5G, application service use-cases and network
users (enterprise, carriers, service providers, end users...) rise
dynamically changing needs in terms of network services and resources.
Users have differentiated behaviors and event-related usages. As
devices become network agnostic, they also expect ubiquitous access to
services, from any device, via any network at any time. In addition to
enhanced Mobile Broadband (eMBB) services, 5G will cover smart cities
and vertical markets and its design needs to meet the requirements of
massive Machine-Type Communications (mMTC), characterized by a very
large density of connected objects, Ultra Reliable Low Latency
Communications (URLLC), with stringent requirements in terms of low
latency and high availability and reliability.

The adoption of virtualization, then softwarization for networks and
infrastructures is an opportunity to move from monolithic network
solutions to customized end-to-end network services conceived
on-demand, and deployed dynamically and “on-the-fly". An important
objective of network slicing is going beyond resource sharing and
consumption reduction, providing flexible mechanisms for network
service provisioning, supported by novel deployment models, while
ensuring smooth service continuity and automating the management and
orchestration of network services and resources.

However, slicing approaches are still at their infancy and multiple
issues are yet to be addressed. For example, slicing of the Radio
Access Network (RAN) raises specific issues as real-time requirements
of low-layer network functions make their virtualization difficult and
reduce slicing flexibility. Indeed, while core and access network
slicing is constrained by existing mechanisms, it can be facilitated
by new approaches which are the focus of this workshop.

New technology trends such as Slice-as-a-Service, VIM on-demand, WIM
on-demand, RAN-as-a-Service, runtime allocation of data center and
network elements bring a

series of challenges in the way network services and slices are
conceived, deployed, provided and intelligently managed.

There are many open questions that need to be addressed, including:

* What are the abstractions and models needed to ensure slicing is
deployable in networks.

* What are the end-to-end issues that need to be addressed to allow
slicing everywhere?

* How to define new radio resource allocation and orchestration
mechanisms that   support the coexistence of a large number of slices.

* How do the existing technologies in computing, networking, and
storage, become   elements of a slice, and how are they managed in
this context.

* Is it better to adapt existing components to support slicing, or is
it better   to design new ones.

SliceWoman workshop aims at providing an international forum for
researchers and practitioners from academia, industry, network
operators, and service providers to discuss and address the challenges
deriving from such evolution in the application, the network and the
infrastructure layers.

Enlighted by this vision, we are welcoming papers that cover any of
the following topics:

* Virtual networks and abstraction models

* Exposure platforms, frameworks and APIs (description, selection,
negotiation, etc.)

  “as-a-Service" paradigms for slice management and orchestration

* Slicing heterogeneous infrastructures

* Multi-Access Edge Computing slicing, Slicing at the Edge

* Cross-domain network slicing

* Network transformation schemes and strategies to support network slicing

* Adaptation approaches of legacy architectures

* Impact of Slicing on FCAPS operations

* Slice lifecycle management

* Slice deployment and placement

* Service Function Chaining for slices

* Self-organizing network (SON) functions for slicing

* Attachment and mobility management

* Multi-tenant slicing for QoS assurance

* Integration of different Radio Access Technologies (RAT) into slices.

* Scheduler design for heterogeneous services

* Multiple resource allocation and fairness

* Spectrum sharing for slices

* Adaptation of lower layer network functions to slicing (massive
MIMO, numerology).

* Slice management for energy efficient networks

* Artificial intelligence for slice management

* Big data and graph data bases for network slicing

* Game theory tools for stakeholder cooperation

* Business layer for inter-operator resource sharing

* Business roles, ecosystem value chains & Business models

Paper Submission

Prospective authors are invited to submit high-quality original
technical papers for presentation at the conference and publication in
the IM 2019

Proceedings. All submissions must be written in English and must use
standard IEEE two-column conference template that can be downloaded
from https://goo.gl/osSfEF.

Technical Papers can be of two types: Full papers or Short papers, up
to 7 pages and 4 pages respectively, including tables, figures and
references.

Papers submitted should describe original, previously unpublished
research results, not currently under review by another conference or
journal.

All submitted papers will be reviewed. Papers will appear in the
conference proceeding and will be submitted on IEEE Xplore.

Only PDF files are accepted for the review process and all manuscripts
must be electronically submitted through JEMS
https://submissoes.sbc.org.br/im2019_slicewoman.

Important Dates:

Submission deadline:        December 15, 2018

Acceptance notification:    January 25, 2019

Author registration:        February 8, 2019

Camera-ready:               February 8, 2019

Conference start:           April 8, 2019

Workshop chairs e-mail:     [email-masked]

Workshop website:           http://clayfour.ee.ucl.ac.uk/slicewoman2019/