Subject: [nmrg] Discovery of resources in NFV environments

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 17:22:57 +0200

Hi,

We are working on a draft that describes mechanisms allowing dynamic
discovery of virtualization resources and orchestrators in IPv6-based
networks. The problem of discovery and advertisement of
functions/resources is somehow generic in network management, though
for the case of NFV we believe it is more relevant because of the
dynamic nature of some NFV deployment scenarios (such as the so-called
fog computing one).

We started a discussion in the NFVRG, where we presented the problem
and our ideas a couple of times with good feedback. Since the NFVRG is
closed, we'd like to continue getting feedback and potential interest
in working on this ideas in other WGs/RGs. We believe NMRG is a good
match, and therefore we'd like to ask for some comments, and eventually
a slot for presentation in Bangkok if possible.

Our document is the following:

"IPv6-based discovery and association of Virtualization Infrastructure
 Manager (VIM) and Network Function Virtualization Orchestrator (NFVO)"

draft-bernardos-intarea-vim-discovery-00

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bernardos-intarea-vim-discovery/

Looking forward for your comments!

Thanks,

Carlos

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 13:43:46 +1300

Hi,

What is the argument for using a low-level mechanism such as ND,
which requires modifications to the basic IPv6 stack?

We have other general discovery mechanisms, such as GRASP for
autonomic scenarios and DNS-SD for more conventional scenarios
(and those can be blended if necessary, draft-eckert-anima-grasp-dnssd)
which don't require low-level stack updates. That would have the advantage
of more flexibility for the option formats, instead of the rigidity
required by RFC4861.

Regards
   Brian

On 2018-10-22 04:22, Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> nmrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/nmrg
>

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:19:07 +0200

Hi Brian,

> of more flexibility for the option formats, instead of the rigidity

We are exploring different options. So far we have looked into ND
extensions as a fast way of conveying some (but not all) the info about
the resources a node has available. But we want to also explore other
ways, like the ones you mentioned, and also combinations (like first
knowing if a neighbor has certain capabilities and then if required to
request more detailed information in a bilateral dialogue using a more
conventional discovery mechanism on top of IP).

Another reason for considering extensions to ND is that the scenarios
we have in scope are very dynamic and we want to get knowledge of
resources appearing and disappearing as fast as possible.

In any case, we are just exploring options. We'd like to first get
comments on the actual problem we are addressing (enabling dynamic
advertisement, discovery and association of resources and orchestrators
in a virtualization environment), and then look into potential
solutions.

Thanks for your comments.

Carlos