Subject: [nmrg] JNSM Special Issue: Intelligent and Trustworthy Internet Edge

From: Jéferson Campos Nobre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:29:09 -0300

Dear Colleagues,

This is an announcement of JNSM SI on Intelligent and Trustworthy Internet
Edge. Sorry if you had received multiple copies of the emails. The
information of the JNSM SI is given as follows:

JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT (SPRINGER)
SPECIAL ISSUE
Intelligent and Trustworthy Internet Edge
*** Submissions due: December 31, 2019 ***
https://www.springer.com/?SGWID=0-102-2-1338221-0
[We encourage early submission, please check the open submission schedule
policy below.]

The emerging and the ever-growing functionality of Internet edges, where
physical and virtual things are connected to the network, are opening a
wide set of new opportunities, both for novel services/applications and
increased efficiency/scalability. These opportunities include locally
sharing information, collaborating, and generating/consuming a huge amount
of data, by involving a variety of entities, such as micro-data centers,
end devices, and resource-sufficient networking nodes. While Fog/Edge
Computing is usually expected to bring the resources, including storage and
computation closer to users (in comparison to Cloud Computing), a
significant effort is needed at the Internet edge to provide a trustworthy
computation edge networking environment able to support new computation
technologies. Indeed, distributed big data analytics, modern Machine
Learning (ML) technology, Artificial Intelligence (AI), real-time data
collection and processing, scalable and distributed security solutions such
as blockchain, and distributed secure data processing, may play a
significant role. Moreover, new networking technologies related to
Information-Centric Networking (ICN), Software-Defined Networking (SDN),
Network Function Virtualization (NFV), and network slicing have emerged as
the novel paradigms for fast and efficient delivering and retrieving data.
This triggers the convergence between the emerging networking concepts and
the new computation technologies to reach the vision of an intelligent and
trustworthy Internet edge.

In order to implement such trustworthy edge networks and services, several
operation and management challenges associated with intelligent and
trustworthy Internet edge need to be addressed. These challenges include:
trustworthy connectivity and network resource management for heterogeneous
networking (HetNet); security monitoring, measurement, and assessment to
ensure networking and management functions to protect data; effective ML
and computation models to consider different resources (storage,
networking, and computing), security requirements, and real-time
constraints; trustworthiness of data sources; in-network data processing
and aggregation, intelligent planning and decision models to handle
security and application requirements.
This special issue aims to bring together leading research on management
infrastructure, applications and the most recent advances in Internet
edge-based secure network management solutions. We hence encourage original
paper submissions, which have not been published or submitted for
publication elsewhere, from both academia and industry presenting novel
research addressing the aforementioned challenges.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Secure intelligent edge systems and networking architectures/protocols to
integrate storage, computation, and networking;
- Secure intelligent coordination and networking between edge, fog, and
cloud;
- Software architectures and toolkits for secure intelligent Internet edge;
- Trust management and networking among intelligent edges;
- Intelligent and secure service function/computation chaining;
- Secure NFV, SDN, and network slicing for distributed computations;
- Secure ICN with/for edge-enabled Internet;
- Secure in-network computation for future networks, inter-data center
networking and 5G;
- Privacy management for intelligent Internet edge;
- Accountability, reliability, and resiliency for intelligent Internet edge;
- Quality of Service/Experience and energy efficiency for secure
intelligent Internet edges;
- Distributed AI with/for secure edge networking;
- Distributed ML with enhanced data privacy, ownership, and obfuscation;
- Integrating Blockchain with distributed edges and Internet finance;
- Data mining and big data analytics for security management in edge
networking;
- Trustworthy data collection and processing for big data at the edge;
- Privacy-preserving big data processing at the edge;
- Emerging applications for intelligent secure Internet edge, such as
AR/VR, IoT, industrial IoT for Industry 4.0, 5G, cyber-physical systems,
smart cities, vehicular systems, healthcare;
- Management framework for intelligent secure Internet edge;
- Security performance monitoring, measurements, modelling, and evaluations
for intelligent Internet edge;
- SDN/NFV security architectures and applications for Internet edge;
- Security mechanisms in wireless SDN/NFV.

Planned Schedule
Open-submission schedule: in this special issue, we implement an “open”
submission approach, where we do not have a submission time period.
Interested authors can submit the paper any time before a fixed deadline,
and the review process will be started right after the paper submission,
i.e., in a first-in first-serve fashion. The detailed submission schedule
is presented as follows:
- Manuscript due: December 31, 2019
- Revision notification: 2-month after the submission
- Revised paper due: 1.5-month after the revision notification
- Final notification: 1-month after the revised paper notification
- Expected Publication of the Special Issue: third-quarter of 2020 (early
accepted papers will be accessible online before the deadline)

Submission Format and Review Guidelines
The submitted manuscripts must be written in English and describe original
research not published nor currently under review by other journals or
conferences. Parallel submissions will not be accepted. All submitted
papers, if relevant to the theme and objectives of the special issue, will
go through an external peer-review process. Submissions should (i) conform
strictly to the Instructions for Authors available on the JNSM website and
(ii) be submitted through the Editorial Management system available at
http://www.editorialmanager.com/jons.

Guest Editors of the Special Issue:
- Dr. Dijiang Huang, Arizona State University, USA
Email: [email-masked]
- Dr. Jéferson Campos Nobre, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
(UFRGS), Brazil
Email: [email-masked]
- Dr. Ruidong Li, NICT, Japan
Email: [email-masked]
- Dr. Paolo Bellavista, DEIS, Università di Bologna, Italy
Email: [email-masked]
- Dr. Abdelkader Lahmadi, University of Lorraine, France
Email: [email-masked]

Best Regards

----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Jéferson Campos Nobre
Instituto de Informática
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Computação
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~jcnobre
----------------------------------------------------