Subject: [nmrg] Last Week! JNSM Special Issue: Intelligent and Trustworthy Internet Edge (Deadline Extension)

From: Jéferson Campos Nobre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 15:05:33 -0300

JOURNAL OF NETWORK AND SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT (SPRINGER)

SPECIAL ISSUE

Intelligent and Trustworthy Internet Edge

*** Submissions due: January 31, 2020 (hard, no further extension) ***

[We encourage early submission, please check the open submission schedule
policy below]

The emerging availability and the promising growing functionality of
Internet edges, where humans and IoT devices are connected to the network,
are opening a wide set of new opportunities, both for novel
services/applications and increased efficiency/scalability. These
opportunities include locally sharing information, collaborating, and
generating/consuming a huge amount of data, by involving a variety of
entities, such as small data centers, end devices, and resource-sufficient
networking nodes. Fog/Edge Computing is usually expected to bring the
resources, including storage and computation closer to users (in comparison
to Cloud Computing). At the Internet edge, significant effort needs to be
focused on to provide a trustworthy computation edge networking environment
to enable new computation technologies. For examples, distributed big data
analytics, modern Machine Learning (ML) technology, Artificial Intelligence
(AI), real-time data collection and processing, scalable and distributed
security solutions such as blockchain, and distributed secure data
processing, may play a significant role. Moreover, new networking
technologies related to Information-Centric Networking (ICN),
Software-Defined Networking (SDN), Network Function Virtualization (NFV),
and network slicing have emerged as the novel networking paradigms for fast
and efficient delivering and retrieving data. This triggers the convergence
between the emerging networking concepts and the new computation
technologies to reach the vision of an intelligent and trustworthy Internet
edge.

In particular, in order to implement such trustworthy edge networks and
services, several operation and management challenges associated with
intelligent and trustworthy Internet edge need to be addressed. These
challenges include: trustworthy connectivity and network resource
management for heterogeneous networking (HetNet); security monitoring,
measurement, and assessment to ensure networking and management functions
to protect data integrity; effective ML and computation models to consider
different resources (storage, networking, and computing), security
requirements, and real-time constraints; trustworthiness of data sources;
in-network data processing and aggregation, intelligent planning and
decision models to handle security and application requirements.

This special issue focuses on the challenges, management infrastructure,
applications and major advancements in Internet edge-based secure network
management solutions. We hence encourage original paper submissions, which
have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere, from both
academia and industry presenting novel research addressing the
aforementioned challenges.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Secure intelligent edge systems and networking architectures/protocols to
integrate storage, computation, and networking;
- Secure intelligent coordination and networking between edge, fog, and
cloud;
- Software architectures and toolkits for secure intelligent Internet edge;
- Trust management and networking among intelligent edges;
- Intelligent and secure service function/computation chaining;
- Secure NFV, SDN, and network slicing for distributed computations;
- Secure ICN with/for edge-enabled Internet;
- Secure in-network computation for future networks, inter-data center
networking and 5G;
- Privacy management for intelligent Internet edge;
- Accountability, reliability, and resiliency for intelligent Internet edge;
- Quality of Service/Experience and energy efficiency for secure
intelligent Internet edges;
- Distributed AI with/for secure edge networking;
- Distributed ML with enhanced data privacy, ownership, and obfuscation;
- Integrating Blockchain with distributed edges and Internet finance;
- Data mining and big data analytics for security management in edge
networking;
- Trustworthy data collection and processing for big data at the edge;
- Privacy-preserving big data processing at the edge;
- Emerging applications for intelligent secure Internet edge, such as
AR/VR, IoT, industrial IoT for Industry 4.0, 5G, cyber-physical system,
smart city, vehicular system, healthcare;
- Management framework for intelligent secure Internet edge;
- Security performance monitoring, measurements, modelling, and evaluations
for intelligent Internet edge;
- SDN/NFV security architectures and applications for Internet edge;
- Security mechanisms in wireless SDN/NFV.

Planned Schedule
Open-submission schedule: In this special issue, we implement an “open”
submission approach, where we do not have a submission time period.
Interested authors can submit the paper any time before a fixed deadline,
and the review process will be started right after the paper submission,
i.e., in a first-in first-serve fashion.
The detailed submission schedule is presented as follows:
- Manuscript Due: January 31, 2020
- Revision notification: 2-month after the submission
- Revised paper due: 1.5-month after the revision notification
- Final notification: 1-month after the revised paper notification
- Expected Publication of the Special Issue: third-quarter of 2020 (early
accepted papers will be accessible online before the deadline)

Submission Format and Review Guidelines
The submitted manuscripts must be written in English and describe original
research not published nor currently under review by other journals or
conferences. Parallel submissions will not be accepted. All submitted
papers, if relevant to the theme and objectives of the special issue, will
go through an external peer-review process. Submissions should (i) conform
strictly to the Instructions for Authors available on the JNSM website and
(ii) be submitted through the Editorial Management system available at
http://www.editorialmanager.com/jons.

Guest Editors of the Special Issue:
● Dr. Dijiang Huang, Arizona State University, USA
Email: [email-masked]
● Dr. Jéferson Campos Nobre, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
(UFRGS), Brazil
Email: [email-masked]
● Dr. Ruidong Li, NICT, Japan
Email: [email-masked]
● Dr. Paolo Bellavista, DEIS, Università di Bologna,
Email: [email-masked]
• Dr. Abdelkader Lahmadi, University of Lorraine, France
Email: [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------
Prof. Dr. Jéferson Campos Nobre
Instituto de Informática
Programa de Pós-Graduação em Computação
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~jcnobre
----------------------------------------------------