Subject: [OAUTH-WG] [oauth] #5: Separate scheme names for bearer tokens, request signing, and delegation

From: "oauth issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 01:40:27 -0000

#5: Separate scheme names for bearer tokens, request signing, and delegation
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  james@…              |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect               |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                |   Milestone:     
Component:  authentication       |     Version:  2.0
 Severity:  -                    |    Keywords:     
---------------------------------+------------------------------------------
 The same HTTP authentication scheme name "Token" is overloaded with 3 (or
 4) distinct roles. This hinders the use of auth schemes names by client
 apps to choose how to authenticate to a server. It doesn't match existing
 usage of auth scheme names.

 A server should be able to indicate that a resource can be accessed:
 1. When the request is signed (MACed) with a shared secret key;
 2. When user consent has been obtained (at a given user-uri);
 3. When a client credential has been swapped for a token (at a given
 token-uri);
 4. When the request is accompanied by an authorization token.

 These indications should be independent.
 Because "Token" is overloaded, a "WWW-Authenticate: Token ..." HTTP header
 can only indicate all of these together.

 Suggested solution: use at least 3 different names in the various places
 "Token" is currently used -- perhaps "MAC", "Delegate" (or "OAuth"), and
 "Token".

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/oauth/trac/ticket/5>
oauth <http://tools.ietf.org/oauth/>

---

From: "oauth issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 05:36:05 -0000

Component:  v2                   |     Version:  2.0
Changes (by james@…):

  * component:  authentication => v2

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/oauth/trac/ticket/5#comment:1>
oauth <http://tools.ietf.org/oauth/>