Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Scope: why is the format predetermined?

From: Laurens Van Houtven <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:25:01 +0200

Hey,

We have a use case for a scope that's more fine-grained/flexible than
what you could explain in a set of space-delimited keywords. We would
like to encode things like the precision with which some data can be
accessed, and the scope sounds like the reasonable place to do that.

Of course we can cheat by encoding eg JSON and escaping all the spaces
to "\u0020" but that seems like an ugly workaround.

Considering the spec says that the actual values of a scope are
determined by the server, why does it dictate the *format*?

Thanks in advance
Laurens

---

From: Luke Shepard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:28:27 +0000

Can you explain your use case a little more, and provide an example of why the current system doesn't work for you?

We have had numerous previous discussions about the format of scope, and the spec represents the consensus around how people plan to use them.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg03630.html

On Aug 11, 2010, at 6:25 AM, Laurens Van Houtven wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> OAuth mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oauth

---

From: Laurens Van Houtven <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:49:30 +0200

Whoops, turns out we were just abusing scope (ie not in the SAML sense).
Sorry; my bad.

Laurens