Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Draf 10 OAuth chapter 2.1 question

From: Kristoffer Gronowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 13:18:53 -0400

Hi!

Just wondering for clarification on the example.

For example (line breaks are for display purposes only):

     POST /token HTTP/1.1
     Host: server.example.com
     Authorization: Basic czZCaGRSa3F0MzpnWDFmQmF0M2JW
     Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

     grant_type=authorization_code&client_id=s6BhdRkqt3&code=i1WsRn1uB1&
     redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fclient%2Eexample%2Ecom%2Fcb

   Alternatively, the client MAY include the password in the request
   body using the following parameter:

   client_secret  REQUIRED.  The client password.

   For example (line breaks are for display purposes only):

     POST /token HTTP/1.1
     Host: server.example.com
     Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

     grant_type=authorization_code&client_id=s6BhdRkqt3&
     client_secret=gX1fBat3bV&code=i1WsRn1uB1&
     redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fclient%2Eexample%2Ecom%2Fcb

When searching for the password should also the user part be used?
If you Base64 decode czZCaGRSa3F0MzpnWDFmQmF0M2JW you get:
s6BhdRkqt3:gX1fBat3bV

So it is sending client_id:client_secret.
In that case the FORM has a redundant client_id parameter.
Should an implementation search for client_id in the basic header or not?

If not I guess that a valid basic auth header could be just :client_secret or in this case :gX1fBat3bV?

Might be good with a clarification here.

BR Kristoffer