Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Comments on draft-ietf-oauth-incremental-authz-01

From: Glen Mazza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 08:33:15 -0400

In Section 6.1, Handling Denials of incremental authorization requests, I
wonder if the resource owner should be provided the ability by the
Authorization Server to reject not just the additional scope(s) but also
all previously granted ones.  This would be to guard against the client
withholding dubious permission requests at the outset that might indicate
to the resource owner that the client isn't particularly reliable, scopes
that if they were provided all at once at the beginning would have resulted
in the user never approving any of them.  In the user is inclined to deny
an additional permission request due to a newfound lack of trust, he may
also want to immediately decline previously granted permissions as well.

In Section 7.2, it seems odd for the Authorization Server to rely on the
client to tell it what scopes has already been approved for it.  I would
think there would need to be a mechanism for the Auth Server to verify that
information, but given that, why not rely on that information directly
instead of what the client would be informing it?

Regards,
Glen