Subject: [OAUTH-WG] Protocol Action: 'Resource Indicators for OAuth 2.0' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-oauth-resource-indicators-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 10:06:39 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Resource Indicators for OAuth 2.0'
  (draft-ietf-oauth-resource-indicators-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Web Authorization Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-resource-indicators/

Technical Summary

   An extension to the OAuth 2.0 Authorization Framework defining
   request parameters that enable a client to explicitly signal to an
   authorization server about the identity of the protected resource(s)
   to which it is requesting access.

Working Group Summary

The document adds new parameter for requests sent by a Client to an 
Authorization Server.

The document received many reviews and feedback from multiple WG members on the 
mailing list and during the WG meetings.

The document was updated to reflect a late review to make sure that the document
makes it clear that the parameter might carry a location or an abstract identifier.

Document Quality

The document has been implemented by the following:

* Ping has an implementation but with a different parameter name ("aud"):
https://documentation.pingidentity.com/pingfederate/pf92/index.shtml#adminGuide/tokenEndpoint.html

* Microsoft
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/develop/v1-protocols-oauth-code

* Auth0 has an implementation but with a different parameter name ("audience"):
https://auth0.com/docs/api/authentication#authorize-application

* Node.JS Open Source oidc-provider implements the draft in full 
https://github.com/panva/node-oidc-provider/blob/master/docs/configuration.md#featuresresourceindicators

* ARM has an implementation as part of the Pelion Secure Device Access (SDA) product:
https://cloud.mbed.com/docs/v1.2/device-management/secure-device-access.html

Personnel

The document shepherd is Rifaat Shekh-Yusef. 
The responsible Area Director is Roman Danyliw.