Subject: RE: Secure mailing list service using OpenPGP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:08:22 -0800

I suggest you patch your pgpv so that it stops the decryption process
after finding an encrypted message.  Handling a message is a recursive
process, involving a series of stages: decrypting, decompressing,
signature-verifying, removing literal packets.  You can make it stop the
process after any desired stage; the code is designed to make this easy.

This way the output of your pgpv will be an OpenPGP compatible signed
message, suitable for further encryption.

Hal

> That's right.
>
> I've read OpenPGP Message Format specification and I think that it is
> logically possible to decrypt a signed&encrypted message and to extract the
> message together with the signature. Is this correct?
>
> If this is true, we can build a program to do this process and to re-encrypt
> to recipients of a ML.
>
> However, which approach should we take in? Geiger's two step approach with
> prohibiting the usual one step sign&encrypt process, or my approach
> described above? --hiro