Subject: typo?

From: "Salzman, Noah" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 16:22:37 -0700

Sorry to interrupt the new invigorated discussion, but is this a typo?

------------
The CRC is computed by using the generator 0x864CFB and an initialization of
0xB704CE.

<snip>

6.1. An Implementation of the CRC-24 in "C"

       #define CRC24_INIT 0xb704ceL
       #define CRC24_POLY 0x1864cfbL
------------

The generator constant in the code sample has a "1" that is not in the
preceding text.

--Noah--

---

From: William Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 99 17:19:28 -0700

> The generator constant in the code sample has a "1" that is not in the

CRC polynomials are usually written without the leading term. Whether the  
constant in the code has the term is an implementation detail --- for  
example, if the CRC width is the same as the word width (e.g. a CRC-32), it's  
easier and faster not to write it that way.

I'd recommend ftp://ftp.rocksoft.com/clients/rocksoft/papers/crc_v3.txt as  
an introduction to theoretical and practical aspects of CRCs.