Subject: Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Feb 2001 19:19:08 +0100

Werner Koch <[email-masked]> writes:

> > Or if you are suggesting just to set a bogus value to the micalg
> > parameter because it is meaningless, why don't you support the idea of
> > wildcard value?
> 
> I won't object against a wildcard or a new value "unknown"

What's your opinion, Thomas?

-- 
Florian Weimer 	                  [email-masked]
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/
RUS-CERT                          +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:50:12 +0100

On 2001-02-09 19:19:08 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:

>>> Or if you are suggesting just to set a bogus value to the
>>> micalg parameter because it is meaningless, why don't you
>>> support the idea of wildcard value?

> What's your opinion, Thomas?

Introducing a wildcard value would make one-pass processing
impossible, and thus break basic design principles.  I.e., I'd
prefer to leave it like it's now.

-- 
Thomas Roessler			    <[email-masked]>

---

From: Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:12:47 +0900 (JST)

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Finalizing OpenPGP/MIME?

> prefer to leave it like it's now.

Would you explain what "one-pass processing" means in your
terminology? And tell me which software does provide such a feature
actually?

--Kazu

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:04:40 +0100

> > impossible, and thus break basic design principles.  I.e., I'd

I would not say impossible but somewhat slower because you have to
hash the digest with all know hash algorithms.  

> terminology? And tell me which software does provide such a feature

joe@bar$ nc -lp 4711 | mime-processing-pgm | viewer-or-whatever

joe@foo$ nc bar 4711 <large_signed_message

I am not sure whether this is a real life setup.  Sending large
messages MIME encoded is not that effective.   Most software creates
and parses MIME message in memory or uses temporary files.

-- 
Werner Koch                                              <[email-masked]>
GNU Privacy Guard                                (http://www.gnupg.org)
Free Software Foundation Europe              (http://www.fsfeurope.org)
           [Please see X-* mail header for OpenPGP key info]

---

From: John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:30:28 -0800

I'm gonna schedule an hour in Minneapolis for OpenPGP.  Main thing on 
the list is to deal with PGP/MIME.  If not enough of us are going to 
show, I'll cancel.  But let's get on the agenda.

I also want to talk about openPGP implementation interoperability 
verification.  I haven't decided if Phil's proposed PGP Consortium 
should be a topic, but it probably out of scope.

If there are other things we should talk about please let me know. 
I'll put the agenda together over the next week or so.
-- 

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Peace of mind isn't at all superficial, really.  It's the whole thing.
   That which produces it is good maintenance; that which disturbs it
   is poor maintenance.
   -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig, 1974
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------