Subject: PGP 7.0 and PGP/MIME?

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:38:24 +0100

I can't resist from forwarding this.  Is it really true that PGP
7.0's MUA plugins STILL don't get PGP/MIME right?  If so: Why? 

----- Forwarded message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.mutt
Subject: Mutt, GnuPG and PGP/Win98
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:11:10 -0000

Hi!

I am trying to communicate securely with someone who is using Win98.
She is mainly using Eudora with a PGP 7.0.x plugin, I am using mutt
1.2.5 with gnupg 1.0.4. 
The problem is thus:
When I send an encrypted message to her, it appears with an empty
body and 2 attachments: One just contains the string 'version 1.0',
the second one contains the actual message. Eudora/PGP can't deal
with that.
When she sends me an encrypted message, it shows up with content
type 'text/plain' and the whole encrypted message is in the body.
I can decrypt it by pressing the '|' key and then typing 'gpg',
but I know that mutt has the potential to automatically recognize
encrypted messages; it does it when I send messages to myself. But
those come from mutt, of course.

Does anyone know what we are doing wrong (besides our choice of
operating systems)? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
j

---- End forwarded message-----

-- 
Thomas Roessler			    <[email-masked]>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Feb 2001 16:43:54 -0500

This looks like it's not even trying to do PGP/MIME.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [email-masked]                        PGP key available

---

From: "Damon Gallaty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:34:07 -0500

There was a problem with PGP/MIME between the Eudora plug-in and Mutt
specifically, which has been fixed. PGP 7.0.3 should contain this fix.

- - Damon Gallaty

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Thomas Roessler
> Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 1:38 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: PGP 7.0 and PGP/MIME?
>
>

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:26:10 +0100

May I ask what kind of problem this was?

(I mean, the description from comp.mail.mutt - as Derek noted -
really sounds like no PGP/MIME was done at all.)

On 2001-02-12 17:34:07 -0500, Damon Gallaty wrote:
> Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Damon Gallaty" <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: PGP 7.0 and PGP/MIME?
> Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:34:07 -0500
> X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 8.5, Build 4.71.2173.0
> 
> - Damon Gallaty

---

From: "Damon Gallaty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:01:30 -0500

The problem was with sending PGP/MIME from Mutt and receiving it in Eudora.
The PGP plug-in was failing to recognize that the message contained
PGP/MIME. The other "problem" mentioned is not a bug at all. As you
probably guessed from Derek's note, the person sending from Eudora to Mutt
is not even using PGP/MIME. but instead is using the "classic" PGP format.
PGP/MIME is an option that the user can turn on or off in NAI PGP products,
since PGP/MIME is not universally recognized in all PGP plug-ins yet (not
even our own).

Before anyone asks, I'll answer the question: why don't all of NAI's PGP
plug-ins recognize PGP/MIME? The answer is that, in order to recognize
PGP/MIME, you must have access to the MIME headers, obviously.
Unfortunately, not all of the MUA's allow plug-ins to access the MIME
headers, thus there is no pratical way to parse or create PGP/MIME for
those MUA's. Outlook and Outlook Express are two examples of this.

- - Damon Gallaty

> Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 6:26 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: PGP 7.0 and PGP/MIME?
>
>

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:11:18 +0100

On 2001-02-13 09:01:30 -0500, Damon Gallaty wrote:

> The problem was with sending PGP/MIME from Mutt and receiving it
> in Eudora. The PGP plug-in was failing to recognize that the
> message contained PGP/MIME. 

I hope there was no bug on our (mutt's) side involved with this?

> The other "problem" mentioned is not a bug at all. As you
> probably guessed from Derek's note, the person sending from
> Eudora to Mutt is not even using PGP/MIME. but instead is using
> the "classic" PGP format. PGP/MIME is an option that the user can
> turn on or off in NAI PGP products, since PGP/MIME is not
> universally recognized in all PGP plug-ins yet (not even our
> own).

From the Usenet article of this guy, there were two sides to the
problem:

- Eudora sending classical PGP messages tagged as text/plain.  This
  is, of course, the setting you describe.

- Eudora not at all recognizing PGP/MIME.  I hope this is indeed the
  bug you described, and not another consequence of not selecting
  PGP/MIME?

Cheers,

---

From: Ian Bell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:31:57 +0000

>those MUA's. Outlook and Outlook Express are two examples of this.

I think it should be possible to make Outlook verify PGP/MIME signed
messages, which would be a start.

Because of the need to support S/MIME, I have been told that Outlook
holds the entire RFC822 message in its raw form as well as in
proprietary MAPI form. I believe that there is a MAPI tag to get the raw
multipart/signed data.

-- 
Ian Bell                                           T U R N P I K E