Subject: Notation data suggestion for rfc2440bis-02

From: David Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:34:46 -0400

I have a suggestion for rfc2440bis, section 5.2.3.16 (Notation Data).

The design to divide the notation "name" namespace into IETF and
user-controlled spaces is very good as it allows for people to add
their own notations that may or may not be applicable to the world at
large, but are still usable for anyone who is interested.

Since the user space naming scheme is, in effect, an email address
(being a name @ a DNS domain), I'd like to suggest adding something
like this:

   Since the user name space is in the form of an email address,
   implementors MAY wish to arrange for that address to reach a person
   who can be consulted about the use of the named tag.  Note that due
   to UTF-8 encoding, not all valid user space name tags are valid
   email addresses.

David

-- 
   David Shaw  |  [email-masked]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
   "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
      We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson