Subject: mdc

From: "vedaal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:13:56 -0400

assuming that a sender has signed and encrypted a message,

how does using MDC protect the sender/recipient more than the signing and
encrypting of the message?

what tampering can be done with the message that the recipient would not
detect unless mdc were used?

{have read rfc-2440 bis, sections 5.12 and 5.13, but did not understand the
practical security advantages
over signing and encrypting}

tia for any clarifications,

vedaal

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Aug 2001 19:49:24 +0200

> encrypting of the message?

Many users don't bother to check the signature, there are a lot of
situations where you do not wnat to sign a message: think Mixmaster.

And an MDC is the cleaner and correct solution to fix a flaw in the
encryption layer.

Ciao,

  Werner

-- 
Werner Koch        Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur
g10 Code GmbH      et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.
Privacy Solutions                                        -- Augustinus