Subject: Re: WGLC for draft-ietf-openpgp-openpgp-15 ends Oct 28 1700EDT // empty line

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:17:26 -0700

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:42:05 -0700 Jon Callas <[email-masked]> 
wrote:
>On 12 Oct 2005, at 2:42 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>>
>> I've only seen this in email, so I'm not actually sure whether 
>its  
>> the PGP implementation or the MUA. I could gather version 
>strings  
>> (for some instances) if that helps?
>>
>
>I'm happy to work merely with the anecdotal evidence that it 
>happens  
>a lot.

it's not the pgp implementations,

but it does happen 'always'
when generating a pdf that has a pgp message as an illustration

the pdf treats the empty line as 'whitespace'
rather than a 'line return'

and the pgp program trying to decrypt/verify the pdf example
is dealing with a functional omission of the empty line

this is true both in Adobe Writer (all versions through 6, anyway)
and PDFCreator

not a reason to change the standard,
just something to be aware of

a simple workaround when creating pdf's, is to manually add a colon 
on the 'empty line' of the pgp message

this will render in pdf, and will be recognizable by all the pgp 
implementations

vedaal

Concerned about your privacy? Follow this link to get
secure FREE email: http://www.hushmail.com/?l=2

Free, ultra-private instant messaging with Hush Messenger
http://www.hushmail.com/services-messenger?l=434

Promote security and make money with the Hushmail Affiliate Program: 
http://www.hushmail.com/about-affiliate?l=427

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:21:45 -0700

> this will render in pdf, and will be recognizable by all the pgp

Okay, so you have described a great reason why an implementation  
might want to accept such a data block despite it not being up to  
spec. It's a great reason.

But that's not a reason to change the spec.

     Jon