Subject: [OPSEC] New IETF I-D "Host Scanning in IPv6 Networks" (draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-00.txt)

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 06:57:18 -0300

Hi, folks,

FYI. Available at:
<http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-00.txt>

Thanks,
Fernando

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-00.txt
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 23:12:17 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-00.txt has
been successfully submitted by Fernando Gont and posted to the IETF
repository.

Filename:	 draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Host Scanning in IPv6 Networks
Creation date:	 2012-04-20
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 18

Abstract:
   IPv6 offers a much larger address space than that of its IPv4
   counterpart.  The standard /64 IPv6 subnets can (in theory)
   accommodate approximately 1.844 * 10^19 hosts, thus resulting in a
   much lower host density (#hosts/#addresses) than their IPv4
   counterparts.  As a result, it is widely assumed that it would take a
   tremendous effort to perform host scanning attacks against IPv6
   networks, and therefore IPv6 host scanning attacks have long been
   considered unfeasible.  This document analyzes the IPv6 address
   configuration policies implemented in most popular IPv6 stacks, and
   identifies a number of patterns in the resulting addresses lead to a
   tremendous reduction in the host address search space, thus
   dismantling the myth that IPv6 host scanning attacks are unfeasible.

The IETF Secretariat