Subject: Re: Determining which LSA is newer

From: arunsy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:45:55 -0000

Hi Gargi,
If the received LSA has MAX Age, it signifies that the LSA in the
Database has to be flushed. The Router which had originated the
LSA previously floods the same LSA with MAX Age if the LSA is
timedout due to Normal LSA Aging or Premature Aging. So LSA
received with MAX Age should be the recent LSA.

With Regards,
ARun Y.

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 Banerjee, Gargi wrote :
>Hi,
>I had a question regarding section 13.1 (Determining which lsa is
>newer) in
>rfc 2328.
>Bullet 3 in the above section says :
>
>Else, if only one of the instances has its LS age field set
>to MaxAge, the instance of age MaxAge is considered to be
>more recent.
>
>I was wondering why we are specific about exactly one of the lsas
>being of
>maxage.
>What if we receive a maxaged lsa and the current copy in the
>database
>maxages at exactly
>the same time.
>According to section 13.1 these two lsas will be considered
>identical
>(assuming sequence number etc. is the same).
>However, what could be the possible disadvantage of
>treating the received maxage lsa as the more current one,
>replacing the
>database copy with this lsa and flooding it out to our
>neighbors.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Gargi