Subject: OSPF IGP Capabilities Draft

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:28:15 -0500

As many of you recall, we've discussed this draft at both
the Yokohama and Atlanta OSPF WG meetings. I wasn't in Yokohama
but apparently there were some present who voiced reservations
with the draft. In Atlanta, there wasn't a lot of discussion (other
than strong support from the authors ;^). We agreed to discuss this
draft further on the OSPF list.

Are there still people who have reservations with the draft?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raggarwa-igp-cap-01.txt

[Speaking as a WG member]

I think the draft is a natural mechanism for advertising new OSPF
capabilities now that the LSA option bits have been exhausted.
We've already extended OSPF to support traffic engineering (TE)
information and this mechanism is slated to be used for propagating
an OSPF router's ability to act as an MPLS TE path computation
server (PCS).

Thanks,
--
Acee

---

From: Abhay Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:34:09 -0800

Acee,

One of the questions raised was, why do we need to advertise these
capabilities? I am glad to see that, there is at least one useful
application (as in PCSD).

I still have those reservations about the usefulness of many other
'capabilities' this document describes. IMHO, if the receivers of
these capabilities are just going to display it in a 'show'
command, we should NOT specify them in this document.

Regards,
-Roy-