Subject: draft-mirtorabi-ospfv3-af-00.txt

From: Vincent Jardin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:36:34 +0100

I]
Section 5:
> There is a requirement to have the [Nt|W|V|E|B] octet defined in each
>   address-family. For example a router may be ABR or ASBR for the IPv6
>   address-family without having the same functionality for another AF.
>   Therefore we define a new LSA type called the AF-Functionality-LSA.

If a router supports the AF-capability, which bits should this router keep
into the Router-LSA's header ?
For example, if IPv4 is supported without beeing ABR, whereas IPv6 is
supported and the router is ABR, the LSA 0xA00A would be:

1/ IPv4
Address_Families: V4-AF
functionality: x

2/ IPv6
Address_Families: V6-AF
functionality: x + B

Should B-bit be set into the Router-LSA ?

II]
However, this document does not describe "some IPv4 LSA" supports with OSPFv3. Is it enough to define
an Address Family support in order for to add some new features with OSPFv3 ?

III]
Moreover, IPv6 is the transport layer of OPSFv3. How could the IPv4 routers support OSPFv3 ?

Regards,
  Vincent

---

From: Michael Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:17:52 -0800

Vincent,

We're working on a separate document that describes the IPv4 address
family. This document's purpose is to add generic support, that can be
added to current implimentations such that they will be able to function
in an internetwork with routers that will have the IPv4 address family
capability. If a router has the address family capability we are defining
in this document then it will interoperate correctly with routers that
support other address families, even though it doesn't know about that
address family.

So I guess the answer to your questions is that they will be answered in a
document which is being written.

Regards,
Michael

On 02/28/2003 at 04:36 PM, Vincent Jardin <[email-masked]> said: >I]

>If a router supports the AF-capability, which bits should this router
>keep into the Router-LSA's header ?

>II]
>However, this document does not describe "some IPv4 LSA" supports with
>OSPFv3. Is it enough to define an Address Family support in order for to
>add some new features with OSPFv3 ?

>  Vincent

Help stop spam -- Join SpamCon Foundation, http://www.spamcon.org

---

From: Abhay Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:28:54 -0800

> >   Therefore we define a new LSA type called the AF-Functionality-LSA.

The next 2 lines in section 5 perhaps has your answer:

   AF-Functionality-LSA is not used for IPv6 address-family as
   Router-LSA already contains this information.

> supported and the router is ABR, the LSA 0xA00A would be:

The AF-Functionality-LSA is needed only for AF's other than IPv6 AF. So
the no. 2 above isn't necessary.

> Should B-bit be set into the Router-LSA ?

correct..

> OSPFv3. Is it enough to define an Address Family support in order for
> to add some new features with OSPFv3 ?

The only motive of the document is to be able to turn off a Link from
being used for IPv6 AF (on the same lines of turning off V6 bit in
Options field, to ignore the node). This will be needed when later other
AF's get defined, and need to exclusively use the link.

> Moreover, IPv6 is the transport layer of OPSFv3. How could the IPv4

It's beyond the scope of this document ;)

Regards,
-Roy-