Subject: rfc1765 experimental : leaving overflowstate

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:18:40 -0800

Group,

        I have a requirement to recover from the overlowstate condition.

        Excuse this question on the interpretation of "leaving overflowstate".

        In section 2.4 it states "when this timer fires, the router leaves
        OverlowState".

        This statement presumes that the ospfExitoverflowInterval is large
enough
        as to allow updates to occur or for us to age LSAs out of our database
        that reduces our AS-externel-LSAs below ospfExtLsdbLimit.

        What happens if we still are over this limit when the timer fires?
Shouldn't
        we reset the timer and not exit the state?

        Why wasn't this condition mentioned OR am I going blind OR what am I
missing
        that gurantees that we must be under this Limit value after the timer
fires?

        Secondly, if we can execute the timer multiple times before we are
below
        the limit, it would make sense at least to me that the Intervals set at
each
        router should not be multiples of each other.

        By setting the values to at least double-digit prime
        numbers should remove the requirement of intervals expiring
simultaneously
        and thus the jitter requirement shouldn't be necessary.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr. Software Engineer

---

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 04:32:03 -0500

Hi Mitchell,

Yes, if you are still in overloaded state after the timer expires, you
should restart the timer and stay in the state. I think implied in the RFC,
not sure if it is explictly stated.

I guess every time jittering the timer value before restart helps, though
any other methods like configuring different values would for sure help too.

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Erblichs [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: rfc1765 experimental : leaving overflowstate

Group,

        Excuse this question on the interpretation of "leaving
overflowstate".

        This statement presumes that the ospfExitoverflowInterval is large
enough
        as to allow updates to occur or for us to age LSAs out of our
database
        that reduces our AS-externel-LSAs below ospfExtLsdbLimit.

        Why wasn't this condition mentioned OR am I going blind OR what am I
missing
        that gurantees that we must be under this Limit value after the
timer
fires?

        Secondly, if we can execute the timer multiple times before we are
below
        the limit, it would make sense at least to me that the Intervals set
at
each
        router should not be multiples of each other.

        Mitchell Erblich
        Sr. Software Engineer