Subject: Re: Internet Draft : Prioritized Treatment of Specific OSPF Packets and Congestion Avoidance #1

From: Mike Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:32:16 -0500

I know I am coming a little late to this conversation, having only recently
joined the mailing list.  But I did want to mention that we have had good
success with increasing the priority of hello packets.

I do think that two of the suggestions may be mutually exclusive:
increasing priority of hello packets and resetting inactivity timer on any
packet from a neighbor.  If hello packets are higher priority and the
neighbor actually did go down, do you really want to delay learning about
the neighbor outage while you work through a backlog of lower-priority
packets from that neighbor?

Mike

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:43:56 -0500

> packets from that neighbor?

My feeling is that prioritization is a much more effective mechanism.
On a broadcast networks you may receive packets sent to a multicast
address and this is no indication of whether or not the sending OSPF
router has maintained state with you.

--
Acee