Subject: Multiple un-numbered serial links between two routers

From: j j <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:15:12 -0700

Can OSPF support this? Seems like there isn't enough
information in Router LSA to distinctly identify the
interfaces for nexthop information.

Or is this an invalid configuration on a router?

thanks

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more
http://tax.yahoo.com

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:24:44 -0400

> interfaces for nexthop information.

JJ,

You are correct - a router link in a router LSA doesn't
provide you with enough information to distinctly identify
parallel unnumbered links. Note that an IP next hop
address is not necessary for a point-to-point link (see section
16.1.1 in RFC 2328).

> Or is this an invalid configuration on a router?

There are a number of implementation choices one could
make. One is to consider all the advertised parallel unnumbered
links valid as long there is bi-directional connectivity
via one of them. Another would be to consider the configuration
invalid.

> thanks

Hope this helps,
--
Acee