Subject: DR Election! clarification

From: kamatchi soundaram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:37:56 -0700

Hi,

  Lets assume there are three routers R1, R2 and R3 are connected to LAN
(broadcast network -- N1). Assume priority of all routers R1, R2 and R3's
interface connecting to N1 is 1.

Assume, presently R1 is DR and R2 is BDR.

My Question follows:

If i dynamically change the priority of R3's interface to 2, what would be
the expected operation of OSPF as per RFC.

1) Will R3 becomes New DR or BDR??
or 2) There will not be any change in the interface state machine??

Thanks,
Kamatchi.

---

From: Rikki Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:07:58 -0700

no change.

the router priority change will cause all routers to re-perform
the DR election.  but since there is exactly one DR and one BDR,
the same routers will be re-elected.  the router priority only
comes into play when multiple or no routers declare themsleves
DR/BDR.

---

From: Erblichs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:54:16 -0700

Kamatchi,

        Once a DR and/or a BDR is elected on a
        interface in OSPF, it doesn't change
        unless either vacates itself as the DR
        and/or BDR OR sometime in the future
        their is announcement that a 2nd DR/BDR
        is also present.

        Mitchell Erblich
        --------------------