Subject: [OSPF] RFC 6506 on Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:20:12 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6506

        Title:      Supporting Authentication Trailer for OSPFv3 
        Author:     M. Bhatia, V. Manral, A. Lindem
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 41992
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ospf-auth-trailer-ospfv3-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6506.txt

Currently, OSPF for IPv6 (OSPFv3) uses IPsec as the only mechanism
for authenticating protocol packets.  This behavior is different from
authentication mechanisms present in other routing protocols (OSPFv2,
Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS), RIP, and Routing
Information Protocol Next Generation (RIPng)).  In some environments,
it has been found that IPsec is difficult to configure and maintain
and thus cannot be used.  This document defines an alternative
mechanism to authenticate OSPFv3 protocol packets so that OSPFv3 does
not only depend upon IPsec for authentication.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC