Subject: [OSPF] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-hiding-04.txt> (Hiding Transit-only Networks in OSPF) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:48:24 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Open Shortest Path First IGP WG
(ospf) to consider the following document:
- 'Hiding Transit-only Networks in OSPF'
  <draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-hiding-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-06. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A transit-only network is defined as a network connecting routers
   only.  In OSPF, transit-only networks are usually configured with
   routable IP addresses, which are advertised in Link State
   Advertisements (LSAs) but not needed for data traffic.  In addition,
   remote attacks can be launched against routers by sending packets to
   these transit-only networks.  This document presents a mechanism to
   hide transit-only networks to speed up network convergence and
   minimize remote attack vulnerability.

   This document updates RFC 2328 and RFC 5340.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-hiding/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-prefix-hiding/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1798/