Subject: [OSPF] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ospf-hybrid-bcast-and-p2mp-03.txt> (OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:36:58 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Open Shortest Path First IGP WG
(ospf) to consider the following document:
- 'OSPF Hybrid Broadcast and P2MP Interface Type'
  <draft-ietf-ospf-hybrid-bcast-and-p2mp-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-07-19. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a mechanism to model a broadcast network as a
   hybrid of broadcast and point-to-multipoint networks for purposes of
   OSPF operation.  Neighbor discovery and maintenance as well as LSA
   database synchronization are performed using the broadcast model, but
   the network is represented using the point-to-multipoint model in the
   router LSAs of the routers connected to it.  This allows an accurate
   representation of the cost of communication between different routers
   on the network, while maintaining the network efficiency of broadcast
   operation.  This approach is relatively simple and requires minimal
   changes to OSPF.

   This document updates both OSPFv2 [RFC2328] and OSPFv3 [RFC5340].

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-hybrid-bcast-and-p2mp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-hybrid-bcast-and-p2mp/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.