Subject: Re: [OSPF] Routing directorate review of draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-lsa-extend

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 20:49:13 +0000

+OSPF, Routing Directorate

Thanks for the review Ice!

On 5/5/17, 9:28 AM, "IJsbrand Wijnands (iwijnand)" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have been selected to do a routing directorate QA review of this draft.
>https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-lsa-extend-14.txt
>
>Summary: 
>
>This draft proposes a new addressing (TLV) format to more easily allow
>additional information to be added as part of a particular LSA. Overall,
>well written, easy to understand what the objective is for this draft.
>
>Comments and Questions:
>
>This looks like a pretty radical change to the OSPFv3 spec. I would
>almost argue to call it OSPFv4..

Experience has proved that new versions are slow to deploy. OSPFv3 is well
positioned to evolve to the next generation IGP.

> Its very unfortunate there are no ‘reserved’ fields in RFC5340 that
>would allow you keep the existing LSA’s format and have some way to
>extend it differently. The TLV approach look good, I can’t see a better
>way to achieve the goal.

No - we struggled with backward compatibility and, due to complexity, went
with with area by area migration as opposed to migration with concurrent
usage of both regular and extended LSAs.

Thanks,
Acee
>Minor Issues and Nits:
>none.
>Thx,
>Ice.