Subject: [payload] draft-ramalho-payload-g7110-00 to be discussed in AVTEXT

From: "Michael Ramalho (mramalho)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:55:56 -0500

[Apologies for cross posting AVT lists - reason below]

All,

I will be discussing issues contained in draft-ramalho-payload g7110-00
at the AVT extensions timeslot on Wednesday afternoon.

This draft is a payload WG draft, but there isn't a payload meeting at
IETF 81. And this draft was previously scheduled to be discussed  the
AVT core timeslot prior to its being moved to AVTEXT (thus the reason
for the cross post to all AVT groups). Roni and Ali encouraged me to say
a few words prior to the discussion this week.

G.711.0 is a stateless and lossless compression of G.711 VoIP RTP
payloads. Thus it is a compression algorithm tailored for G.711. When
negotiated end-to-end it is negotiated "as if it were a codec".

However, being lossless and stateless, G.711.0 can be applied anywhere
within an end-to-end G.711 negotiated session. When applied in this
manner, it suffers no voice quality degradation relative to G.711 (duh,
its lossless).

Most of the open issues in the draft relate to the use of G.711.0 within
the context of an and-to-end G.711 negotiated session.

I look forward to comments generated from the discussion of this draft
for those cases.

Regards,

Michael Ramalho

Michael Ramalho
Technical Leader
Product Development
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 
Phone: +1 919 476 2038
Mobile: +1 941 544 2844

Cisco Systems, Inc.
4564 Tuscana Drive
Sarasota, FL 34241-4201
United States
http://ramalho.webhop.info
Skype: mramalho_mar42