Subject: [payload] draft-lindsay-payload-rtp-aptx-00

From: "John Lindsay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 14:35:58 -0000

Hi 

We would like to ask for the doc "draft-lindsay-payload-rtp-aptx-00" to
be considered by the working group for adoption as a proposed standard.

The document has been in existence since its first draft in April 2008
and has been updated by various members of APT following comments within
the workgroup over the past 5 years and is now implemented by a number
of Audio Codec manufactures mainly in the Broadcast sphere.

A brief history of the doc is as follows.

draft-gmassey-avt-rtp-aptx-01, (Submitted 15th Apr 2008), (Expired 17th
October 2008).
draft-trainor-avt-rtp-aptx-00, (Submitted 22nd December 2009), (Expired
25th June 2010)
draft-rea-payload-rtp-aptx-00 (Submitted  18th April 2011)
draft-rea-payload-rtp-aptx-01 (Submitted  7th October 2011)
draft-rea-payload-rtp-aptx-02 (Submitted  7th March 2011), (Expired 7th
September 2012)
draft-lindsay-payload-rtp-aptx-00 (Submitted 28th November 2012)

The RFC was generated originally in response to our work with the EBU
(European Broadcasting Union) N/ACIP (Audio Contribution over IP)
workgroups and their attempts to standardise transmission of packetized
audio data over RTP to ensure compatibility between Audio Codec
manufacturers.
No standard method of packetizing the apt-X and Enhanced apt-X algorithm
was available and the doc seeks to address this along with the
appropriate SDP messages to facilitate compatible call signalling.

http://www.ebu-acip.org/Main_Page

Whilst the documents have generated a number of responses and driven a
number of the N/ACIP members and interested parties towards both the
payload and AVT workgroups, the number of interested parties is always
going to be limited as there are only a finite number of codec
manufacturers and hence N/ACIP members. 

As you can see from the above we hope the doc has reached a level of
maturity required for WG adoption.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards

John Lindsay